Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"Replicating Harvard's Formula?"

Replies to: "Replicating Harvard's Formula?"

• zephyr151zephyr151 Registered User Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I think this one was a scottie pwn.
  • f.scottief.scottie Registered User Posts: 1,590 Senior Member
    "Scurrying over to the Harvard page to brag about this fraud"? i came over here to offer an accurate answer to another poster's question. i did not mention princeton's af-am program. i did not mention cornel west. you, however, always on the alert for any slight to your pro-harvard, pro-republican sensibilities, answered with graduate-level *english* department rankings and your usual tirade against west. you also, quite characteristically, "went personal," or ad hominem, as you love to say. not even accurately, either, as i don't think i've ever posted about any "third rate actress announc[ing] her intention to matriculate at" old nassau. but by your mock-populist reasoning, shouldn't all matriculants be celebrated, whatever their talents?

and yes, i really do think cornel west makes princeton a better school. he's universally regarded as a phenomenal lecturer, one of the very best on the faculty. he was regarded similarly while at harvard. he's a pretty decent scholar, too, certainly not a "fraud." from a previous thread:

a little background: cornel (one "l") west graduated magna cum laude from harvard in just three years, earned a ph.d. at princeton, his dissertation for which was later published, and has since taught at H, Y, *and* P. harvard, before its change in leadership to the impossibly tactless larry summers, made west one of its dozen or so institution-wide "university professors," its highest faculty honor. as for west's books, "race matters" was a big-time bestseller and continues to sell well. on a more scholarly measure, he's currently the highest ranking black male scholar in the google books database (higher even than harvard's skip gates) and one of the ten most-cited in google scholar. not surprisingly, many at harvard would like to have him back (see link # 4).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornel_West

http://www.jbhe.com/latest/index040606_p.html

http://www.jbhe.com/latest/index033006_p.html

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...holars_return/

"While West taught the introductory course Af-Am 10, “Introduction to Afro-American Studies,” the class saw enrollments of 584 in the 2001 and 316 in 1999. Today, the course enrollment has plummeted to 17 students under the auspices of Professor of Government Michael C. Dawson and Professor of African and African American Studies Evelynn M. Hammonds."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=502418
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    That is all horse manure.

If Summers accomplished nothing else during his tenure, he broomed this embarrassing fraud out the door.

Awarding "University Professor" status to Brother West was a typically PC move by Summers' bovine predecessor (the Princeton man.)

Why don't you go back to **** for the Princeton women's soccer team?
    >Why don't you go back to **** for the Princeton women's soccer team?

first it's actresses, now it's women's soccer. why don't you point me to some of the apparently unceasing **** i've done on these subjects?
    How about **** for minor league basball players?

"The rapidly improving Venable, chosen by the Padres in the seventh round of the 2005 draft...." blahblahblah

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showpost.php?p=2867905&postcount=1

Sounds like the YALIE **** regaling us about all the upscale martini bars in rapidly-gentrifying New Haven!
    sorry, you said "tollling" for actresses and women's soccer, not "basball."
    As self-appointed Princeton **** there is no limit to your gushing about minor achievements by Tigers, ex-Tigers or would-be Tigers - or even, in the case of Brother West, immigrant Tigers.
    pwn3d, on your own thread, on your own board.
  • crimsonbulldogcrimsonbulldog Registered User Posts: 885 Member
    one of the funnier threads I've read, great example of self-pwnage
    Using "kid speak" now, are we?

Go back to your lair or I'll tell JEM you are off-topic!!!

Waaaah, waaaah! JEM.. scottie is being a BAD BOY and using kid speak he learned at the "other place"!
  • crimsonbulldogcrimsonbulldog Registered User Posts: 885 Member
    "Waaaah, waaaah! JEM.. scottie is being a BAD BOY and using kid speak he learned at the "other place"!"

lol, I think elvis has left the building
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    Let's be sure to hear about all the desirable features of other schools where that news is on-topic: in the school-specific forums for each school. I notice (and appreciate) that Byerly's example of posting newspaper links about new admittees and about faculty accomplishments is now followed in those forums, which is helpful to me, a person who has no particular reason to be partisan about any of the schools discussed here.
  • AlumotherAlumother Registered User Posts: 6,233 Senior Member
    The original link was reportage covering The Star-ACMS conference on Globalising Higher Education in Malaysia?

Well, my goodness.
    Ah! All the ants scuttling in the door ... drawn to the honey, no doubt! Are things slow over in Tigertown today?
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    I am an American who has lived overseas, and I think it is a very important issue what reputation an undergraduate college has around the world.
This discussion has been closed.