right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I... Want... to... Meet... Mankiw...

azsxdcazsxdc 756 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 832 Member
edited August 2008 in Harvard University
This is probably the sole reason why I am applying to Harvard. Got me interested in Econ. as a freshman and have been reading his blog, papers, and books ever since. Albeit I disagree with some of his views. . .

Anyone take his beginning econ. class? How was it?
edited August 2008
11 replies
Post edited by azsxdc on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I... Want... to... Meet... Mankiw...

• OptimusPrimeOptimusPrime 334 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 336 Member
    I'm in high school AP econ and using his text-book. It would be so weird to see him in real life.
    · Reply · Share
  • neutralnukeneutralnuke 771 replies38 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 809 Member
    same here Optimus
    · Reply · Share
  • cosarcosar 670 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 696 Member
    My son took Ec 10 with Mankiw last year and loved it. If you're visiting this year, it won't be hard to find someone currently taking it - the enrollment this year is close to 1,000 (by far the largest class in the school). Despite the size of the class, Mankiw is by all accounts very accessible, as described in this article: http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=510773

And if you do well in the class, you can get yourself invited to the annual party he hosts at the Faculty Club for top Ec 10 students: http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=511970
    · Reply · Share
  • downtown128downtown128 191 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    Yeah, we use his book at my school for AP Econ too. It would be weird. I hate how in the book, he talks so much about himself though. I remember one section early in the book, he spent an entire page talking about his time working with Bush....
    · Reply · Share
  • primeministerprimeminister 620 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 644 Member
    oh, me too!
    · Reply · Share
  • squadsquad 7 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Mankiw is MAN-COOL.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gallo_PallatinoGallo_Pallatino 148 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Yeah, I've heard that even his senior thesis (i.e. during his undergrad years at Princeton) is still considered one of the best. I've only met him once in person, though, and only briefly...
    · Reply · Share
  • just_forget_mejust_forget_me 2199 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,244 Senior Member
    Oh, Mankiw... Very dorky, very loveable, and very very smart.

He is more of the Ec10 manager than the professor... lecturing about 6 times/semester to the whole class. The actual teaching is done by grad students (some great, some not so great) in sections of 20-30.

Mankiw holds weekly office hours (although they're at random times during the week, so they're not so easy to attend). I've heard he's great about answering emails. And he posts interesting stuff for Ec10 students regularly in his blog.

He also gets to know students in some random ways. I got to have dinner with him last week by reading + responding to a blog post. There's also that reception for students who get A's that was mentioned earlier.
    · Reply · Share
  • korektphoolkorektphool 115 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    Wow I didn't know Mankiw reads CC!
    · Reply · Share
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 8053 replies40 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    ^^ haha, I wasn't sure why you said that until I saw his blog. That's funny. :p

Greg Mankiw's Blog: A Paradox
    · Reply · Share
  • White_RabbitWhite_Rabbit 910 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 947 Member
    I am excited to take his class next year. I was also extremely excited to meet Gary Becker when I was at Chicago.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity