Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

implications of the harvard admissions office e-mailing you??

sara0023sara0023 Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
edited November 2007 in Harvard University
A few days ago the Harvard Admissions office e-mailed me and encouraged me to apply. Frankly, I'm a bit confused because my sat scores are below average.. a 2120/2400. Do they do this often? The e-mail was quite generic. Or did they take into consideration the region I'm in because my score is a bit high for the middle east.
Post edited by sara0023 on

Replies to: implications of the harvard admissions office e-mailing you??

• AileyAiley Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    I don't know if they email international students rather than sending them snail mail. We got a (snail mail) communication from them some time ago, very much a 'form letter', encouraging my daughter to apply, but we knew not to read too much into that, because that at least is sent out to a lot of students. I don't know the significance of the email you received, though, or how many they sent out.
  • irepr08irepr08 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    i have no idea, but i think they send those out a lot because they sent me a letter, email, brochures and application and my scores were wayyyyy too low (1910 at the time). im pretty sure its near impossible to get into harvard with those scores, so maybe they sent me the stuff because im from a place where im sure no one usually applies there.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    The context of such a communication from Harvard is that Harvard is very diligent about recruiting students.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_34/b3998441.htm

The email means what it says: you are encouraged to apply. What happens after you apply is not predicted by such a communication, but I would still consider it good news, and if I were your age and interested in Harvard, I would submit an application. Of course any applicant to Harvard this year, or any year, will also want to apply to some safety college that you are sure to get into.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=357223

If you get more than one offer of admission, then you have the happy "problem" of deciding which offer to accept. If you'd like to get an offer of admission from Harvard, one essential step is submitting an application.

Good luck.
  • ChelmarChelmar Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    I believe the House of Slytherin has recruited you. I don't know whether to say "Congratulations" or "Sorry" :(
  • sheldon0789sheldon0789 Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    A 2120 is more than fine for Harvard, and any of its peer schools (YPSMC).
  • uml1958uml1958 Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    sara,

You probably selected Harvard in your Common App profile and you allowed Harvard to contact you through email. It's not very special.
    i dont know, i personally never selected harvard in my common app or anywhere because my scores where so low, and they still sent me a bunch of stuff. i guess it means they just want as many people to apply as possible even if most have no chance of getting in.
  • Muffy333Muffy333 Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
    I think if they contact you and say they'll waive the application fee it means they want you.
  • ChelmarChelmar Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Not necessarily. Just remember that Harvard, as an institution, still wants to make itself look as good as possible, i.e. get that sub-9% acceptance even lower. So take those messages with a grain of salt :/
    i agree w chelmar. they just want lots of people to apply even if they already have the most talented students applying and even reject plenty of them. i wish they'd offer to waive my app fee tho
  • crazy momcrazy mom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    We got that e-mail, as well as a call this summer from their office. I assumed it was high PSAT score?
  • xjayzxjayz Registered User Posts: 1,654 Senior Member
    You don't even have to pay the application fee -- have a guidance counselor write that the $65 is a hardship, and it's OK.
  • AileyAiley Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    crazy mom, probably it's more like 'reasonable PSAT' for all the reasons above - everyone wants a bigger pool, presumably to win the selectivity title...
  • AedarAedar Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    I suspect that even a perfect PSAT on its own wouldn't generate a call. But a high score from an under-represented school or zip code probably would, because Harvard has been trying to expand its reach as a way of encouraging more minority and lower-income applicants.
  • crazy momcrazy mom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    232 PSAT, although I doubt they are clamoring for tiny public high school students in rural Iowa. Maybe just want tons of applicants. It was kind of neat, he got called by our state school, Harvard, and some tiny Catholic school who keeps recruiting him for tennis.
This discussion has been closed.