Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Forensics ( Speech and Debate) at Harvard

CrazedAmbitionCrazedAmbition Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in Harvard University
Does the Harvard Forensics team recruit? How good would one have to be to join the Harvard Forensics team?
Post edited by CrazedAmbition on

Replies to: Forensics ( Speech and Debate) at Harvard

• tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    Interesting question. I note that a lot of debaters from my state go on to Harvard, but I don't think there is debate recruiting by the team in the admissions hook sense there. Let's see what more knowledgeable people than I have to say about this.
  • CuddlySheepCuddlySheep Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I'm interested to hear the answer as well. If you've qualified for ToC/done some fairly significant competitive stuff with debate/speech, does Harvard's team care?
  • G2COMG2COM Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Who knows American Whig-Cliosophic Society?
  • lotf629lotf629 Registered User Posts: 703 Member
    I don't know a whole lot about this, but I'll give you my experience.

I knew a bunch of former debaters at Harvard, including at least one CX national champion, and none of them was an active debater anymore. I didn't get the impression that we (Harvard) had a major speech-and-debate presence.

I don't think that debate gets flags at any Ivy League colleges. My experience was that debate was *great* for getting you in to college (I was the captain of our high school team junior and senior year, national qualifier, etc.), but not because debate teams have any real clout at the college level. . . at least not in top-tier schools. Rather, debate makes you look like intellectually engaged, which is always a major plus.

Who are the top top college debate programs in the country, anyway? I don't think they're principally the most selective colleges in the country. . . even though lots of elite high school debaters *go* to the most selective colleges.

Anyway. I could be really wrong; that's just my own limited experience.
This discussion has been closed.