Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Arkansas Kid

tyler3312tyler3312 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in Harvard University
Age- 18
Gender- Male
Race- White/American Indian
EFC- $0
First Generation College Student

ACT- 32
GPA- 3.4 (Upward Grade Trend)

EC's
Baseball- 4 years
- Captain, All-State
Basketball Manager- 3 years
-Over 400 hours of community service to a local Junior High through this
Quiz Bowl- 4 years
- Founder, Captain, and All-State (9, 11)
Student Section- 3 years
- Founder and Organizer

Essays- I wrote about the song "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey and how it has helped me to carry on throughout my trials and tribulations.

Recommendations- Should be good to very good. I chose two very articulate teachers who care a lot about me.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Post edited by tyler3312 on

Replies to: Arkansas Kid

• chrisiskeychrisiskey Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    You have a solid ACT score. Do you have any SAT II scores to go with it? Being a first-generation college student helps. Keep getting good grades to bring your GPA up and you'll have the same chances as everyone else... 9%.
  • tyler3312tyler3312 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    No, I don't have any SAT II scores to go with it.

I don't know which one/two would be best to take.
  • chrisiskeychrisiskey Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    You need three. Math Level 2 has a nice curve. Other than that, I recommend a science test, then a test in the humanities (language, lit, etc.).
    Wow, I would have to take all three in December.

That would be tough.
  • ChelmarChelmar Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Math 2 has a strange curve (10% get 800's) but you will need strong math skills up to precalculus to do good on it. Literature is probably the hardest SAT subject test, but it's more or less about common sense than you would expect. If you feel you're strong in a certain science subject, by all means take the SAT subject test for it. The same goes for world history or US history, or a foreign language if applicable.

FYI the deadline for regular SAT registration is today, the late registration is 11/8. So make your decision soon, you have no time to lose :)

I noticed you listed "American Indian"; do you have official tribal affiliation? If you can get your grades upward by a lot, or at least as high as mathematically possible, then your super-URM status should be a great help but not an instant hook for your admissions in general, though not having it wouldn't be a killer either. I'm just wondering. Other than that, good luck!
  • icy9ff8icy9ff8 - Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    If you have a tribal membership registration, then you should consider contacting Dartmouth College.
    Chelmar- I do have official tribal affiliation.

Would contacting the baseball coach help at all?
    If you mean Harvard's coach, then by all means do so. I don't know too much about baseball, but it seems you've done very well and you're one of the top in your state. Being recruited is an option, and even if not, just showing interest and initiative is good in itself. So yes, it could help. It is always good to try.
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    you should have done questbridge
    I found out about QuestBridge too late to actually attempt to fill out the application and everything.
  • AileyAiley Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    Tyler3312, as someone else said, you have no time to lose! URM and first gen college will both help (URM should help quite a bit) but you need those SAT IIs. Register today, you need to go to collegeboard.com and register with them and then for the test. You will need to take all 3 in Dec, but as far as I know (check the collegeboard website) you can change your mind about which tests you actually take (other than a language with listening) upto test time. (but check this - I am not 1000% sure). But if true, you have more time to decide which exactly which tests to take.
    However, decide soon, because you need to prepare. Buy or borrow Princeton Review or Kaplan's prep books for the appropriate SAT II, they really help youget familiar with the test.
    Good luck!

If you haven't contacted the baseball coach yet, do so now - being a recruited athlete is the biggest edge there is in admissions. You will need to prepare a sheet with your academic and sports stats. It's kinda late to be recruited, but by no means too late. I can provide you more info if needed, PM me if you would like more details.
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    From the Harvard website:
    January 26

Last SAT I and SAT II testing date for candidates. Our testing requirements will change with the introduction of the new SAT I. For the Class of 2012, students may submit either the "old" SAT I or ACT taken before March 2005, or the new SAT or ACT (which must include the writing section). As always, students must also submit three SAT II exams of their choosing. The Admissions Committee will continue to consider all test results in light of students' educational opportunities.

This means that Tyler could take 2 SATIIs in December and 1 (o2 if retaking is needed) in January. The rest of the application has to be completed and sent much earlier, however.
    @ OP: To clarify, I was referring to the December test date for the SAT subject tests. Personally I have found Barron's review books to have the best practice tests, so that you can best gauge which topics you need to review. Princeton Review is good for reviewing past material, but IMHO the best review is a read-through of the textbook. If review books are not available for you, that is fine too, you could search online for some sample questions, or ask your teachers for help. Feel free to PM me if you have questions on anything.
  • maritemarite Registered User Posts: 21,586 Senior Member
    Test date: December 1, 2007; Tests: SAT & Subject Tests
    Registrations date: October 30, 2007; (late registration date)November 8, 2007

Test date: January 26, 2008; Tests: SAT & Subject Tests
    Registration Date: December 26, 2007 Late registration date: January 4,
    Thanks for all the info everyone.

So I'm getting the feeling that I should take Math II, a science, and then a humanities SAT II?
This discussion has been closed.