Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How badly reduced are my chances if I don't apply EA?

13»

Replies to: How badly reduced are my chances if I don't apply EA?

• An0nym0u5An0nym0u5 Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    there is little difference between applying EA and RD at harvard. given the improved SAT scores, go for RD. because of their high yield, theyll either take you or they wont. dont overanalyze the difference between EA and RD at this school.
  • Hyper2400Hyper2400 Registered User Posts: 770 Member
    Okay so the yield factor will not mess me up if I go RD instead of EA? (I apologize if this question may be redundant...I'm just really tired right now :) )
    harvard has an 80% overall yield. i highly doubt they fear losing their RD acceptees.
  • idleridler Registered User Posts: 519 Member
    On admissions percentage numbers: they don't necessarily apply to any particular applicant. For example, Conwoman: the admissions rate for a white girl from the suburbs of CT, not applying early, not a legacy, might well be less than 5%, even excluding 'heck-of-it' applications.
    or try a new jersey asian male.

but:
    "For Harvard, you are playing a gamble. If you apply early, the chances of admittance are 20%+. However, when you are deferred, and you implement Byerly's stance that deferrees are admitted at the same rate as regular action students, your chances drop to 5%+."

early applicant pools are significantly better than regular pools. most people who get into their early school don't apply to schools, and the ones that do only apply to 1-3 more schools. this takes quite a bit of talent away from the regular pool (not to mention those removed by ED programs). you should believe harvard admissions when they say a regular applicant has as good a shot as an early applicant.
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    The available statistical data is at variance with the assertion of the prior poster.

Fact is, it is almost invariably the case that early pools are * N O T * stronger than RD pools.

See: The Early Admissions Game."
    "See: The Early Admissions Game."
    Just saw it on Amazon.com:

Oh boy....I'm screwed....:( I really hope that I do not have to retake an SAT this fall...as I will be taking 3 SAT IIs this fall...
  • newstudent88newstudent88 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    i do understand how u are feeling but dont stress out too much.. apply whenever you want.. why dont you talk to an admissions director?
    I just keep getting conflicting responses...I cannot rationalize it very well...so I thus will proceed to rationalize myself:

Harvard's catalogue states that there is no disadvantage to applying RD...but I am going to try my ultimate best to apply EA...Byerly's arguments in addition to the arguments in the early admissions game are highly convincing...and Harvard is my first choice school...so it will naturally be the one I pick for EA. The only thing that might mess me up are testing requirements...but I can still apply EA with what I have now and just one more SAT II...rationalization goes on and on and on like the ENERGIZER BUNNY :D
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    What is the worst thing that can happen, anyway?

You'll get deferred and considered again as part of the RD pool, where - statistically - you should have just as good a chance as if you hadn't taken a shot at SCEA, and just waited to apply RD.
13»
This discussion has been closed.