Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"Best in class: students suing their way to the top" (news item)

2»

Replies to: "Best in class: students suing their way to the top" (news item)

• conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    >I would argue rather strongly that being valedictorian of your class is a greater accomplishment than being accepted into the college of your choice...a reflection of having performed the best by an objective measure.

Using the same logic we should agree that scoring 1600 at SAT is a great accomplishment and reflection of having performed the best by an objective mesure - just like a sport record.
  • chewy3chewy3 Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    At many schools (including mine) being the valedictorian is not an academic achievement as much as it is the one who gamed the system the best. Those taking as many academic "weighted" classes (AP) and no electives are rewarded, those who can afford summer PE so it doesn't go on their transcript, taking pass/fail electives so that it doesn't lower a gpa, not taking college classes because they aren't weighted etc etc. Bascially, the top 15 at my school has less than a .1 difference in GPA - so it does come down to these silly things which doesn't measure academic achievement.

Despite this, no one has ever considered legal action - and I don't think that's warranted.

Luckily, the top schools can see through this as in my experience the top 2 people were rejected at most top schools while others got in.
  • abcdefghijklmabcdefghijklm Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    conwoman: Wouldn't you agree? Scoring a perfect score on an aptitude test is a bigger achievement than having someone influential tell you that you have aptitude....

Most people would probably still prefer the latter, but nevertheless, the first is an accomplishment (as is a sports record), the second is nice recognition. Valedictorian, frankly, is both accomplishment and recognition, while I would distinguish college acceptance as solely recognition.

And Hanna, I can't imagine making a fuss over an A- vs. an A either. But I can imagine fighting for a deserved recognition.

Perhaps, you know, to some people it really means something to get to give a commencement address to an audience of a few thousand....
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    abcd: I agree, especially if it is backed up by corresponding SATII scores, AP exams etc. I would even put it over being a valedictorian, since the latter can have a subjective element in it. As in Hanna's example, a personal conflict with a teacher can result in A-, and here goes your perfect GPA.
  • suburbiansuburbian Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    It's very upsetting not to be recognized as the valedictorian if you deserve it. At my middle school graduation (I know, not even high school), another girl was named 1st, although I had a 4.5 gpa out of 4.5, and she had less than 4.4. I was really iffed about this, and none of the guidance counselors or the principal could tell me what had happened. Each claimed that they had no idea about the process of claiming a student 1st in rank although I had seen a paper copy of the class ranking in the guidance office a month before. Although this made me incredibly frustrated, I decided not to do anything about it. I continued to do much better than this girl throughout high school, but I didn't forget this incident. The resentment is just about fading away, four years later. I knew that at some point, something that happened in middle school would no longer be important. Those kids who sued over high school valedictory probably know this, too. In college, it really won't matter... as an adult, it will matter less. But I know from personal experience that until it stops mattering, it's a really unpleasant thing to go through.
2»
This discussion has been closed.