Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deferred vs. Regular Decision

CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,429 Senior Member
edited May 2005 in Harvard University
Is there a difference in chances? Are applicants put into two different pools? Is there a difference at all?
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1

Replies to: Deferred vs. Regular Decision

  • phishfanphishfan Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Not really. Applicants who are deferred are put into the regular decision pool and considered along with everybody else. Usually the acceptance rates are similar. I got in after being deferred, so it does happen.
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    phishfan:
    you and xjazy seem two be the only two ppl on CC who got admitted after deferral. This seems far less than 5% RD rate. In contrast there are many accepted among CC Yale deferrees.

    We just had this duscussion in another thread:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=67143
  • xjayzxjayz Registered User Posts: 1,654 Senior Member
    I don't know, since Byerly is an alumnus, I think he receives a wrap up of how many EA deferred were accepted. Didn't he say last year 139 or so EA deferred applicants were ultimately accepted in the end? Just wondering.
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    Yes, but things could have changed this year. Perhaps they didn't expect that many RD applicants, and this left a very slim chance for those deferred. There is no doubt that this board represents a stronger pool of applicants than the genearl pool. If you look at the official rosters it looks like 30% got accepted. So, if the acceptance rate among those deffered was the same as among regular RD applicants, wouldn't we see dozens of deferrees being admitted? We did see it on Yale and other boards, but not here.
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    Last year, enough EA (674) and deferred EA (249) applicants were admitted to Yale to fill 70% of the class.
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    Hm.. if this is true for this year what was the actual Yale admittance rate among real RD applicants? Something like 3%?
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    It will be interesting indeed to learn whether there were as many EA deferreds admitted as there were last year. The number of "true" EA admits was hiked from 674 to 710, even though the size of the early pool declined.
  • xjayzxjayz Registered User Posts: 1,654 Senior Member
    What do you mean by "true" EA apps?
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    ADMITS ...as opposed to EA-deferred admits
  • xjayzxjayz Registered User Posts: 1,654 Senior Member
    I see.....
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    If we assume that this year 70% of spots were taken by EA applicants, this leaves about 18300 true RD apps per 564 (30%) spots. This equates to 3% admittance rate among RD apps. Take out of it some spots reserved for recruited athletes (rumor was they sent ~100 likely letters) and legacies, and this would leave 2% for the rest of us. Boy, how did I ever get in!
  • ThisIsCrazyThisIsCrazy Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    um, no, byerly said the EA admits and deferred admits COULD have filled 70% of the incoming class. every school admits more applicants than the target class size, because yield is not 100%.

    byerly, can we get some stats for harvard and not yale?
  • phishfanphishfan Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    early admitted fill just under 50%
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    Don't be confused. That's enough ADMITS to fill 70% of the slots - if they all matriculated.

    1. Assume that 90% of the "original" EA admits matriculated: that means 640.

    2. Assume (based on last year) that 65% of the EA deferreds matriculate: that means 162.

    3. So, the number of students in the Class of 2009 who were, originally, EA applicants rather than RD applicants: 802.

    4. Fraction of the class (of roughly 1,325) filled by EA + EA deferred applicants: 60%

    5. Number of slots filled by RD applicants: 523.

    6. Number of RD applicants: 15,522

    7. Admit rate for RD applicants. (assuming a 55% yield): 6.2%
  • conwomanconwoman Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    Ok, my mistake. But what is a 55% RD yeild is based on? Is this the last year figure?
«1
This discussion has been closed.