Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Waitlist Update

Replies to: Waitlist Update

• prepster05prepster05 Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    There was a phase II. It was for deferred admission to the Class of 2010-mostly legacies.
  • rexerrexer Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Please excuse my ignorance and not to brak the mood but-

Hows the waitlist system organized, by this I mean how do they determine which students to place off the waitlist ?
  • Justice~Justice~ Registered User Posts: 325 Junior Member
    three kids at my school got off the harvard waitlist: two massively connected, one with massive school support.
  • prepster05prepster05 Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    Justice-were they offered a spot in the class of 2009 or the class of 2010? When were they offered these spots?
  • Justice~Justice~ Registered User Posts: 325 Junior Member
    for 2010. make that 4 people actually; i just heard about someone else. another legacy. quite remarkable i think...
  • vladimirvladimir Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    Shows that nepostism is still alive and well and working at the highest level of our so called meritocracy.
  • MiaskovskyMiaskovsky Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I got a call from a Harvard admissions officer two hours ago telling me that I got accepted for the class of 2010. Basically they didn't have enough room for me in the class of 2009, so they accepted me for the next year. I don't know what to say, this is exactly 6 months after I was originally deferred early action!! Wow, I guess it was worth the wait. This is my first post (as you can probably see), but I've been "lurking" in CC for about a month, and I want to thank both Byerly and Shostakovich for helping me maintain my sanity during this last month of waiting.

For those interested, I was planing on going to Duke next year (I was just filling out my rooming forms this morning!)
  • killaeronekillaerone Registered User Posts: 981 Member
    Great job! CONGRATULATIONS on such an awesome acceptance and an amazing accomplishment.

What are your stats/hook(s), if you don't mind saying?
  • ByerlyByerly - Posts: 7,019 Senior Member
    Hey, congratulations! This makes five "advisees" off the waitlist! The offer to defer, I expect, made the difference.
  • MiaskovskyMiaskovsky Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    umm, i don't like the idea of posting my stats...I know that there are people out their who probably did better than me, and it might make them unhappy.

Byerly: I didn't offer to defer (they called me and accepted me for the class of 2010, so I didn't have much of a choice)
  • thinkjose1thinkjose1 Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    Byerly knows what he's doing :)
    Whenever there is a list, somebody is at the bottom of it.

... even if the list is the top 9% of this year's applicants!

The final slots depend on who agrees to defer, how many deferrees from last year return, how many will be studying abroad, how many beds will be left for transferees, etc.

Then they had to make room, this year, for a few SCEA admits at Yale who decided to defect to the Kremlin on the Charles, and were previously counted by Yale as among THEIR admits. (We know some of them from CC)

It is not yet clear how the yield rate for 2009 will be affected. This year's deferred-admits are - standing alone - a negative, yield-rate wise, since they are counted as admits - but not matriculants!

Harvard has always encouraged people to defer, if at all interested, as a matter of policy. Since the pool tends to roll over from one year to the next, deferees tend to have a neutral impact on yield.
  • policymakerpolicymaker Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Byerly is a genius...none can deny...
    You made it just under the wire, kid!

Getting in via the "Z-list" is like drawing to an inside straight!

Glad to help. You're story is a great one.
  • copleand9023copleand9023 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    byerly - what's it mean if i STILL haven't heard anything from the waitlist folks at H?
This discussion has been closed.