Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Summer Institute still happening in 2011?

ClarianoClariano Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Harvey Mudd College
I have heard about summer institute for incoming freshman, as a three week residential "experience" but I don't know anything about it, whether it requires an application, if it's possible to not get it (ie - not enough room, or not chosen) and if it would prevent the student from attending the pre-orientation hiking/backpacking trip.

a link or any info would be appreciated, especially if someone has participated in it.
Post edited by Clariano on

Replies to: Is Summer Institute still happening in 2011?

• GeekMom63GeekMom63 Registered User Posts: 1,957 Senior Member
    My son was hoping to attend this year. However, I learned at Admitted Student Weekend that they're changing it. I was told they're adding an academic component, changing the time to 4 weeks, and inviting people from the admissions list personally. Those people have already received their invitations and there is no application. It was lunch, and noisy, so you might call to find out, but I don't think I'm wrong.
  • ClarianoClariano Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Ah I see...thanks for the info. I guess D won't be going but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm pleased with the admissions office so far. So I see that your soon will be a class of '15 student for certain then, after completing a gap year? Was this year his first to attend ASP (did he go?)
    My son went to ASP this year but not last year. He visited campus and did an overnight last spring, though.
    Last week my D got an invitation for the Summer Institute....she called to see how many students they'll take and they said 20, but that essentially everyone was invited. I don't know if that's accurate about inviting the entire freshman class, but at any rate, the application is due by June 3.

@geekmom - did your son end up getting an email?
  • AnthroponomistAnthroponomist Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure everyone got an email--I'm a white guy from NY, so it's not like it was only sent to traditionally underrepresented people in the fields of math/science. Although the people who are ultimately chosen will probably be underrepresented in some shape or form.
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    My son didn't mention getting an email, but it's a busy time and he is not interested in going. I'll ask him and let you know soon. He is definitely going on the Yosemite hike.
    Yeah, he got an email, but because it didn't come from the standard address he didn't notice it until I made him hunt for it today. I just hope the web site's back up before he needs to apply (if he wants to). He doesn't even know what the app form is like.
    Mine , upon questioning, did say he got it about a week ago by email but wasn't interested so didn't mention it. I imagine that Mudd will extend the deadline if necessary.
    Folks should also know that the NM Finalist scholarship paperwork is due on June 3 or 4 - if your child got the small merit scholarship for NMF from Mudd, make sure they send in the paperwork by mail or fax.
    D mentioned tonight she's just going on the Yosemite hike and isn't going to apply to SI. Either way it would have been a good choice, so I'm just happy she's decided.
  • onthehillonthehill Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Is this paperwork that HMC is requesting or paperwork with the National Merit folks? If it's from HMC did they email it to you or mail it to you? Thanks.
  • AnthroponomistAnthroponomist Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    It's an application for an optional summer institute thing, that is focused primarily on traditionally underrepresented groups in engineering, etc. Everyone should have received an email; it has no connection with National Merit stuff.
    RE: National Merit
    There is one form that came by mail from National Merit and another that came by email from Harvey Mudd. I just mentioned it as an aside - I didnt' want to start a whole thread about it - and just because the deadline is about the same as the SI deadline.
    RE:SI - My son did get an invitation via email too but didn't bother to tell me.
  • Blackroses216Blackroses216 Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    Hey!

I am a current student (rising sophomore) who did SI, and I can give some input on this.

Yes, this year, they are changing it. It is by invitation. Also, usually they allow the students who participated the previous year apply to be leaders/ mentors. However, this year they only took two people from our class I believe, and this was also by invitation. It is true that the time has been extended, and now includes a writing portion (to get the half semester writing course that they would usually take first semester out of the way, if I've heard correctly). This is beneficial for those who might normally struggle with the huge workload at Mudd more so than others. you also got to meet some of your classmates early, which inevitably sort of made cliques form at the beginning of the school year, but it really wasn't too bad at all. It's not like anyone's excluding anyone else, its just pretty obvious that some students already know each other pretty well. Overall, SI was pretty fun, but it did feel a bit like I was a 5th grader at summer camp. You don't really get a feel for college by the structure of the program. There are a lot of fun activities though, and obviously you get to make some friends before school really starts kicking in.

As for Pre-O, It is going to be amazing! I am actually one of the leaders this year, and am really looking forward to meeting the incoming class! :)
This discussion has been closed.