Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Harvey Mudd - The benefits

wooje12344wooje12344 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited May 2013 in Harvey Mudd College
So in my statistics class, we were looking at ROI rankings, and I saw Mudd on the top.
Then I started looking around places like US news and found out that it was a great tech school.
As a kid trying to major in engineering (preferably mechanical), I thought this school was great. Except I'm not so sure of its rigor and stuff...

Compared to schools like caltech, UC Berkeley, Stanford, where does Mudd stand?
Also, how is it #1 ROI?
Post edited by wooje12344 on

Replies to: Harvey Mudd - The benefits

• intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 30,096 Senior Member
    Your question is "How is it #1 ROI?". This is the methodology information for the 2013 ROI list where Mudd was ranked #1:

"PayScale economists evaluated data from more than 1,000 institutions and compared costs to median alumni earnings over a 30-year period. They based the schools’ net ROI on the difference between the median pay for those with a bachelor’s degree who graduated from 1983 to 2012 and the median pay for those with a high school degree who graduated between 2012 and 1977. The costs of obtaining the college degree and lost wages from time spent in school are deducted.

HMC’s 30-year ROI was calculated at $2,217,000. California Institute of Technology ranked second in the report, followed by Polytechnic Institute of New York University. Massachusetts Institute of Technology ranked fourth, and State University of New York Maritime College ranked fifth."

I don't think you would have any argument with the rigor, assuming you are looking for a very rigorous program. The core is notoriously difficult (first semester is pass-fail, I suspect partly to keep everyone from going crazy about the lack of grade inflation). Average GPA has crept up a bit in recent years, but they told us at accepted students weekend it is currently 3.3. They have only had a very small number of students (7? 8?) in the history of the school graduate with a 4.0. Students take 5 classes at a time (16-17 credits is a normal load, I think).

If you are interested in Mudd, I'd suggest you go visit to get a flavor for the campus. You can visit Cal Tech, Berkely, and Stanford in the same few days, see what you prefer.
  • wooje12344wooje12344 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Thank you so much.
    Now I know that rigor-wise, Mudd is very competitive.
    But compared to other colleges where there are graduate programs available, does it fall behind in terms of research and future advancements?
    This page has some interesting information on Mudd's perspective on research:

Academics, Clinic and Research | Harvey Mudd College

There is a lot of hands on work at Mudd -- when we visited in the summer we saw students working on building a robot, and at accepted students day we saw some students who had done their 'clinical' project on a device related to a government project related to collection of dark matter (they were assigned the job of designing an improvement to a device used as part of the project, and also prototyped the device). It was VERY cool. They have a lot of good relationships with corporations that give them real-world projects to work on, too. And... there are no grad students to hog the work and glory at Mudd.
  • azaliaazalia Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    Mudd actually provides more opportunities for top notch research than a school with a graduate program because there are no grad students to compete with for direct work with the professors. This provides the opportunity for great experiences that are valued by grad schools and prospective employers. My son had a terrific summer research job with a professor and his senior year clinic project provided an impressive opportunity that certainly helped him land a terrific job.
    So to be fair... EVERY SINGLE small school makes this claim about no grad students. But some of them have very limited resarch budgets. However, Mudd has a sizable research budget -- they showed a slide at accepted students day about the amount compared to other liberal-arts colleges and they had the most funding by a lot (I don't remember the numbers, but I want to say they were double the nearest school). We also had an interesting conversation about where their funding comes from -- it is a mixture of grants from government organizations (like NSF, NHS), but also quite a bit from private sector money. They are working hard to beef up that private sector percentage more given the current political climate on science funding. We asked about that at another LAC (happened to be the one second on this list), and they looked at us blankly... why would they worry about losing government funding, no issue so far? So it seemed like Mudd was (1) much better funded in this area than other small-ish colleges, and (2) on their toes to keep their funding flowing in.
This discussion has been closed.