right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Harvey Mudd CompSci Majors are 55% Female

2»

Replies to: Harvey Mudd CompSci Majors are 55% Female

• hebegebehebegebe 2647 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,684 Senior Member
    And conservatives and right-wingers everywhere wept. How dare those women!
    Well that was a dysfunctional statement @AgentXJP, in more ways than one.
    · Reply · Share
  • LKnomadLKnomad 1247 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    @Coloradomama Using Swarthmore's data pulled from the NSF, since they have no stake in the results. They analyze the top undergrad PhD producers in STEM and other areas. If you scroll down the pages you will see PDFs of undergrad to PhD success rates for numerous disciplines. This is done by percentage. Harvey Mudd comes out at the top, well #2. So you are waaaaaay off. Look closely at the actual schools that send people on to succeed at PhDs and you may be surprised.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/institutional-research/doctorates-awarded

· Reply · Share
  • dustypigdustypig 910 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 927 Member
    May I suggest good perfume and knowledge of the meeting content and goals both? A solid technical grasp and a sense of humor so you can roll with sexual inuendo? A balancing hobby like YOGA and impecable standards, as sleeping to the top may not work anymore?! And a public speaking class to avoid a whining female voice?

Are you freaking KIDDING ME???? This is the most rampant sexist BS I have read in a LONG time. I sincerely hope you are NOT teaching your children this attitude. Are you really suggesting that, unlike for men, it's not enough for women to be smart and competent and experienced -- that they also have to wear "good perfume" and take yoga classes? So basically, it's a woman's job to make herself attractive to men in order to succeed in her career? And I find your comment about "sleeping to the top" to be incredibly offensive.

Back to the topic under discussion -- I have a daughter who is very strong in math, and at one point I thought she might go into CS. I signed her up for some summer programming camps, where she felt "meh" about the subject matter, made a few good friends among the other girls, and pretty much universally disliked the boys. A lot of the boys were pretty socially clueless (hey, maybe they should take classes in how to talk to girls!) and a lot of them suffered from the problem mentioned in the article, where they were so eager to talk about what they knew that they came across as show-offs to the other students. I have a lot of sympathy with kids like that, so I don't happen to think that they're the problem here (in fact I think it's good that they have a field to go into where their lack of social aptitude isn't a career-killer; my older brother has Asperger's and it has seriously limited his career advancement). But it does mean that teenage girls aren't likely to want to major in something where they don't really like most of the other students in their classes.

And of course this carries over to the workplace, which is why women who do graduate with degrees in CS often end up moving into other fields. I know a couple of women who started out as programmers and are now working in the communications-related part of the field -- writing user guides and documentation, writing research papers, grant proposals, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • insanedreamerinsanedreamer 1533 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,536 Senior Member
    This thread appears to have opened up a can of worms ...
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliDad2020CaliDad2020 1009 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    Such an interesting series of responses from @Coloradomama

I always thought it odd that until about 1985, CS was very gender balanced. Then the % of female participation seemed to fall off a cliff. I always thought that was interesting.

· Reply · Share
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom 2364 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,405 Senior Member
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston 1369 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,383 Senior Member
    "I think the thing about the male students is that they tended to dominate the classroom discussions, often with arcane questions that were often more to show off their "chops" than actually advance the topic the class was covering."

This x5000000
    · Reply · Share
  • SkepticalOfMostSkepticalOfMost 127 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    edited January 2017
    ^ Which brings to mind a fair % of the 'Chance Me' posts here on CC...the showing off, that is.

:-)
    edited January 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • profpapaprofpapa 10 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I wonder whether Coloradomama has substantial data on how many HMC female CS graduates were rejected by PhD programs at the mentioned universities. Also, how many percents of female CS graduates from other places (USC, MIT, UC Berkeley, CMU, etc.) were similarly rejected. And getting a few rejection doesn't mean that the graduate didn't finally end up being accepted to one of those places. There have been more women in CS at HMC, but the total number is still very small. So not having seen them dominating the industry is trivial, but that doesn't mean that they don't get a good job. It's easy to generalize things from a personal perception. But I doubt that an outsider really has substantial information about what majority of HMC female CS graduates are doing and has it objectively analysed.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36271 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,915 Senior Member
    My kid is physics with a CS concentration within the physics major. She has been accepted to six PhD programs so far out of the 11 grad school programs she applied to (no word yet from the other 5, and as far as is evident online, at least 4 of those have not sent out their first wave of acceptances yet). That poster has no clue. My kid does not have a great GPA, but has very good test scores, great research experience, and strong rec letters. Mudd is well known in academic circles and in tech hiring.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity