Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Good enough for Harvey Mudd College?

taijimaniataijimania Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited March 2011 in Harvey Mudd College
Hi. I'm a sophomore from a school in Southern California.
Do you think I can get accepted to Harvey Mudd with early decision
if I continue to do as well as I have done so far?

My stats:

Freshman grades:

English 1H: A-/A-
Algebra 2H: A/A
Non-Western Cultures: B+/A
Biology H: A+/A-
NJROTC 1: A/A
Spanish 1H: A/A
Computer Logic/Algorithm (1st semester): A
Fundamentals of Programming (2nd semester): A

Sophomore quarter grades:

English 2H: B
Pre-Calculus H: A
AP European history: A
Chemistry H: A
NJROTC 2: A
Spanish 2H: A-
AP Computer Science A: A

EC:

Marksmanship plus various activities & competitions in NJROTC.
Volunteer work at library (since freshman year, about 50 hours so far)
total volunteer hours & community service hours: 180.
Best Buddies Club.
Annual Summer Bible School for Children with Disability

*planning on participating in these throughout high school.

Competitions:

AMC 10 Freshman year: 99 out of 150
KSEA-SC 2008: 2nd place.

*Will participate in these two competitions throughout high school.
Currently preparing for the Science Olympiad team.

SAT I:

Haven't taken the official test yet; average 2000 on practice tests.

SAT II:

Korean: 800
Planning on taking Biology M & Mathematics II in January 2009.
750 on Biology M & 800 on Mathematics II practice tests.

This is all I know so far.

Also, for my personal statement I plan on writing about my role model, my favorite musician, and how I was influenced by his definition of "dream" and "passion" after listening to his music.

Although my heart is currently set on Harvey Mudd, I would love to hear about any other "private colleges in California" with computer science/mathematics majors, other than Caltech.
Post edited by taijimania on

Replies to: Good enough for Harvey Mudd College?

• fiona_fiona_ Registered User Posts: 1,811 Senior Member
    You're a sophomore.. Chill, baby.

CS/Mathematics - Berkeley and Stanford :) Stanford = near Google = t3h ****
  • taijimaniataijimania Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    lol I'm not a type who likes to chill -_-&
  • PajkajPajkaj Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    taiji - Trust me, I understand not wanting to relax. It is quite stressful, even that early. Just take Standardized tests soon so if you don't get what you want you can study and retake. Biggest mistake I made in the process was waiting to take the SAT until May of my Junior year, because I only had one more chance to take it, and everything came close in the end.

Also, your grades look quite well. Try to bump the occassional B+/A- to an A and just focus on school, but your application at this point looks like it has potential.

Just a side note - IMO, it would be more significant on the AMC-10 if you qualified for the AIME, but a class rank for your school doesn't necessarily show how well you did just because schools as a community all vary in their mathematical strength. Just a thought.
  • atomicfusionatomicfusion Registered User Posts: 1,987 Senior Member
    You are definitely on pace. You are doing much better than I was after freshman year and I managed to get in.
  • PajkajPajkaj Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    One other thing:

If you don't already, read outside of school, as much as you can. It will help you in terms of standardized tests tremendously. CR is my weak point, and I'd bet strong money that if I'd read more throughout high school it would have had the ability to make a significant difference.
  • jiaodajiaoda Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    You can never be good enough for Harvey Mudd. Its students are as good as those in Caltech and MIT. Unless you have some international science/math prizes, saying good enough for Harvey Mudd is just reckless.
  • hmudderhmudder Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Sorry, I don't think that kind of negativity is constructive or helpful at all, jiaoda. You do, of course, have a chance at Mudd. I was admitted ED this year, and I will tell you that I did not get a single A or A- my freshman year. Really the only advice I can give you is that you will have to try your absolute hardest from now on if you want to have a good chance. I really suggest for not settling for not much less than an 800 on the Math II SAT 2, and a 2250 on the SAT (which is entirely possible, I am sure, if you commit yourself to it). Also, it would be to your benefit to get involved in a few more extracurriculars.

Just keep your head up and keep going strong, and I am sure that even if you don't make it into Mudd you will find another great university to attend when the time comes.
  • jiaodajiaoda Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I know my previous reply is kind of cynical. and i am really sorry for it.
  • mathboy98mathboy98 Registered User Posts: 3,752 Senior Member
    Jiaoda - being good enough for a school is different from the best. My school has produced even Turing award winners, and some students are extraordinary, but that is different from merely getting admission. There is never a guarantee for anyone, but high achievement means one is quite deserving.

Unless international student.
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    I would say that the OP should not focus on college admissions yet. Take your time to explore , to work hard, and to focus on what you love.
    As to HM - what you have so far is clearly in the range of what HM wants. After that, admissions focuses on intangibles to a degree. A student can have the stats for Mudd/MIT/CalTech/UChic , to pick just a few, but not fit with all of them.
    Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.