Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Random Question thread

maruhan2maruhan2 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
edited July 2010 in Harvey Mudd College
I had this question: "Are there printers in each dorm?" and decided that it would be better to make a new thread of a collection of such random questions.

So, are there printers in each dorm?

Cuz it would be a pain to walk to a different building just for one paper. I'd bring my own printer if that's the case
Post edited by maruhan2 on

Replies to: Random Question thread

• geek_momgeek_mom Registered User Posts: 2,106 Senior Member
    No, there aren't. Many students bring their own printers. My son took a printer last semester, but brought it home over the Christmas break -- he'd never used it and he wanted to reclaim the desk space. There are enough printers on campus to make it convenient for him to go without one on his desk. So I'd say a printer may be a nice thing to have, but isn't essential.
  • maruhan2maruhan2 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    hmmm.... interesting. my high school has one in every dorm. I guess I'll bring mine then.

I have another question. What is a typical schedule for sports or any other demanding activity?
  • fiona_fiona_ Registered User Posts: 1,811 Senior Member
    My friend does track and it's every weekday afternoon.
    and practice is around 2 hours, 3 hours?
  • azaliaazalia Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    On the printer, I will ditto geek_mom. My son's printer broke sometime early last semester. He hasn't replaced it yet even though I offered to pay for it, so it mustn't be much of an inconvenience not to have one. He said it got in the way. So the space is better than the printer.
  • sunnyholidaysunnyholiday Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    When will students find out which dorm they are in? Not until right before school starts?
    I received the email containing room info 1-Aug-2009.
    Just curious. Why are there almost no guys not living in the dorms? Is it because the houses are expensive to rent?

And talking about houses (which made me think of fraternity houses), I wonder why there isn't a Claremont Colleges fraternity. Harvey Mudd itself is small to have a fraternity, but the whole Claremonts are big enough
    Let me restate your question: Why do most people live on-campus?

My opinion: It's infinitely convenient to live on campus. Even the furthest dorm - Linde - is still ridiculously close to the dining hall, Academics, etc. Living off-campus has a marginal increase in efficiency, which people won't want to bear. Unlike Pasadena, for example, Claremont doesn't have many apartment-y housing off-campus available for students.
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,396 Senior Member
    As a parent thinking of sending a kid long distance to school, I like the idea that most students live on campus. Do the upperclassmen tire of the food? (The other dining halls on Claremont would help give variety... but four years is a long time.)
    Why do most people live on-campus?

That's what I was gonna say but then I remembered that most people do live on-campus in every college. :p
    Colorado_mom, isn't tiring of the food inevitable? :P Dining hall is still dining hall, no matter which way you slice it. I cook quite a lot, since I don't like dining hall food, but I reckon most people just live and let live.
    talking about food, how far is chipotle?
  • azaliaazalia Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    I think my son rarely eats in Hoch-Shannon. He goes to the other schools, particularly Scripps sometimes. But mostly, he makes his own. You can do wonders with a fridge, microwave, and occasionally using the dorm kitchen. Not sure how balanced his diet is, but hey, he's young.
  • thefirstdude02thefirstdude02 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Actually, at the University of Michigan, only about 40% of students live on campus.
This discussion has been closed.