Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where is the nearest major airport?

roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Haverford College
that would send planes to chicago?

Is this the one?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Philadelphia+airport&daddr=370+W+Lancaster+Ave,+Haverford,+PA+19041+(Haverford+College)&geocode=Fe9yYAIdkMiD-ykvg6lgZsTGiTG7JxCeEU8fyg%3BFXp-YgIdVuWC-yH0XnJZq2jTEQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.931854,-75.302353&sspn=0.276952,0.441513&ie=UTF8&ll=39.938172,-75.302353&spn=0.276927,0.441513&z=11

related question - what kinds of transportation to get there is available to a HC student? do HC students need a car to get around? How can they get into Philadelphia? bus, train?

I saw in another thread of HC surrounding area that the nearest town is about a half mile away, which is not a quick walk off of campus.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/haverford-college/1019176-campus-surrounding-area.html
Post edited by roderick on

Replies to: Where is the nearest major airport?

• alanhfalanhf Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I think that's the one. That is the one I took when I went to the Multicultural Scholars Weekend there.
  • alanhfalanhf Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Sorry, it wouldn't let me edit the above reply.

I think that's the one. That is the one I took when I went to the Multicultural Scholars Weekend at HC. (PHL Philadelphia International Airport).

To answer one of your related questions:
    You can take the shuttle, as well as a taxi. You have to walk up to help desk where a person will call those services for you ( Philadelphia International Airport - Ground Transportation )

Also, I heard that there is a train that rides into Philly, but I have not taken it yet. It is suppose to be a ~20minute ride.

From when I visited, that half-mile didn't feel too far, specially if you walk with a friend. However, from what I could tell from my visit, there are no immediate places to go out to eat or hang out (excluding the on-campus ones)-- I may be wrong, however.
  • DavesMom4DavesMom4 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Philadelphia International Airport is the closest major airport to campus. From there, there are two ways to get to Haverford's campus. You could either take a train from the airport into Philadelphia and then switch to another that runs to Haverford, or you could take a taxi directly to campus (which would be, admittedly, a little pricier). Train: about $20, Taxi: about $60.

Hope this helps!!!!!
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,380 Senior Member
    A train ticket between Bryn Mawr and Philadelphia International Airport is $10 one way. Haverford is one stop before Bryn Mawr and in a cheaper fare zone, but I have a feeling that airport tickets are probably the same.

There are two trains from Haverford into Philly: the R5 and the R100 (the Norristown High Speed Line). The R100 requires a transfer, but it's cheaper than the R5 and gets us to more destinations in Philadelphia.

Haverford is in the middle of Philadelphia suburbs. The moment you step off campus, you are surrounded by banks, cafes, stores and residential buildings. The campus does not feel very urban though because the residential and academic buildings are separated from the busy roads by green space (which belongs to campus!).

You can see that pretty well on Google Maps. Haverford College extends over three blocks. The center block is where most of the campus buildings are and the two fringe blocks are mostly green space (the West block features athletic fields, the East block a duck pond). Lancester Avenue, which bounds the East side of campus, is a major commuter road and framed by all sort of businesses.
This discussion has been closed.