Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What does "successful completion" of senior mean really mean?

charlie214charlie214 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited May 2013 in Haverford College
I was wondering what exactly warrants getting rejected after you have already been admitted. Obviously expulsion/failing out in your senior year would be cause for reconsideration on Haverford's part, but is it really to that extreme? Would a normally straight A student who gets a handful of Bs and a D in AP Calc be in danger?
Post edited by charlie214 on

Replies to: What does "successful completion" of senior mean really mean?

• alanhfalanhf Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I have this same question. Some of my friends said that it mainly deals with GPA and Arrests or the like, but not typical "senioritis." I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,380 Senior Member
    I have a feeling that this is handled on a case-by-case basis, but I would not let my grades slip by more than one letter grade. Going from straight As to Bs and a D could certainly be a source of concern. (Also, if that D accidentally turned into an F, would you still graduate?) One thing to keep in mind is that there are unpleasant options between an unconditional acceptance and a complete rejection. I don't know if Haverford does this, but I have heard of cases elsewhere where students were asked to redeem themselves in summer courses or placed on academic probation in their first semester in college.

*This is coming from an ignorant college student, not a college representative.*
  • D'yer MakerD'yer Maker Registered User Posts: 3,421 Senior Member
    This person, posting on the Yale board, got 5 B's and an A for his final semester of high school and was "rewarded" with the following letter from the Yale Admission Office when he graduated from his high school:
    jamesdakrn wrote: »
    In reviewing your final high school transcript, we were disappointed to see that your spring term grades declined in all of your academic subjects. Your end-of-year grades were a clear departure from your previous excellent record.

In order for the Admissions Committee to be fully aware of any extenuating circumstances this term, I would like you to send me an explanation of the decline in your grades. You may email me at the address on this email of fax a letter to...
    As you know, a condition of your admission, as outlined in the Instructions for Admitted Students, was that you would continue to perform ‘at a level comparable to the one presented to the admissions committee.’ Please carefully consider your response to the question of why you did not meet this expectation.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

I don't know the final outcome but, man, wouldn't it just be a totally crappy day if you opened up your mailbox and received this letter?

And then there's this poor kid who had to meet with the Admission Office during the summer after hanging for a month or so just to plead his case (successfully, as it later turns out) that the D he got in AP Physics -- which was largely because he did miserably on his final exam -- shouldn't keep him from entering UCSD as a PoliSci major:
    3down wrote: »
    Help! Has anyone had their child's acceptance recinded?

My son got a D for the spring semester in his AP physics class. He was accepted at UCSD as a Poli Sci major and we know he could be rescinded. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? We have no idea how the decision process goes or if there is a way to mitigate the situation. Any advice?

I wouldn't want to even flirt with these situations. Yuck. Even if it works out, that's some serious stress I'd gladly trade away even if it means working hard straight through senior year of high school.

These letters go out for good reason. Lots of kids applying to competitive colleges have been conditioned to think that the offer of admission to one's first choice college is a goal. In fact, it's just a beginning. And if you're stalled out or have hit your maximum potential during your senior year of high school, you're going to get off to a bad start in college. When you're applying for grad school or internships or whatever challenging opportunity you set as your next goal...you don't want to explain your freshman year away because you needed time to get your act in gear. The people who attend Haverford and colleges on a par with it already have their act in gear on Orientation.

Don't give the Admission Office a valid reason to think that you've burned out and can't hack college...especially if they have an unexpectedly high yield and beds are in high demand in the fall.
  • 13hubseek13hubseek Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I was wondering how things turned out for you because I'm in a similar situation. I have a couple of A's, B's and two C's. I still have a 3.0 G.P.A. and I wasn't a 4.0 student to begin with. Please answer
This discussion has been closed.