Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Welcome Parents Class of 2015

2»

Replies to: Welcome Parents Class of 2015

• cmjcmj12cmjcmj12 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Thanks for chancing me! And I have a question about the dorm situation; I heard that the majority of dorms are singles, and they're putting even more in by fall of 2012. Do you get the option of having a roommate if you think it's an important part of college, or is it random and you'll probably end up alone?
  • revbon50revbon50 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    This is question you might post under a different heading so that students can respond but here is how it worked for my S (just graduated). His Freshman year he was assigned to one of the HC apts. There were 4 guys and two bedrooms so he shared a bedroom. Sophmore year, he chose to stay in an apt. but roomed with two women. The two women shared a bedroom and he had his own. Jr. year he chose to live in a single in a North dorm and then senior year elected to move back to the apts! I guess this is my way of saying that I feel after Freshman year, you do get a lot of choice in where and how you live. Also, the singles in the dorm are often connected to a suite so you do have built in suitemates even if you do not share a rooom.
  • englishjwenglishjw Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    My S will be a freshman this year. He will be in the Apartments (HCA) where his suite has two doubles - all male and the same arrangement as described by revbon50. I don't believe S made any special requests regarding dorm space. It would seem that they will try to accommodate you if you prefer a single or double even in your freshman year.
    Englishjw: My S loved living in the apts. but I found them to be quite old and dingy. I would recommend bringing things (rugs, curtains, etc) to brighten it up. Again, it did not matter at all to my S but just to me.
    revbon50: I imagine our situation will be just like yours - S won't notice and I will want to brighten the place up. For starters, we've decided to take it as it is. He will talk with his roommate and (maybe) make some improvements over time. Thanks again for the advice.
    Best Wishes! I hope your son loves it!
    Thank you revbon50.
2»
This discussion has been closed.