Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Self proctored exams?

emmalinemmalin Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Haverford College
Is it true that Haverford's exams are self administered? I'm certainly not a cheater but wouldn't other students abuse this system?
Post edited by emmalin on

Replies to: Self proctored exams?

• revbon50revbon50 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    Yes, it is true! While I am sure that there may one HC student somewhere, sometime who took advange of this, most are honest and abide by the honor code. Hc does a great job of admitting students who are good fit and this means that they are not the sort who are overly competitive or who cheat.
  • englishjwenglishjw Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    I loved your response about self administered exams. You have just described exactly the environment my son wanted. Haverford sounds ideal.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,380 Senior Member
    There's three sorts of exams: in-class, self-scheduled and take-home. My favorite take-home exam has been of the unlimited time, open book, open internet variety. I learned a LOT from working though the exam, but boy was it hard! (The professor was confident that we would not be able to find answers online...)

Cheating doesn't seem to be a big problem. I recall a recent Honor Council case where a student turned herself in (!) for plagiarism because she had such a bad conscience.
  • Luckie StarchildLuckie Starchild Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    Yeah, there are different kinds of exams so it's not a total free-for-all. Self-scheduled exams are great and it works well. During finals week, you can choose when to schedule your exams. You could be in an exam room taking a Chemistry exam while sitting next to someone taking their History exam. Afterwards, you are not supposed to tell anyone anything about the exam, whether it was difficult, etc. This is a pretty easy rule to follow... after all, it's not in your interest to give someone else an advantage. You can spread your exam schedule out so you don't end up with two killer exams scheduled on the same day.
This discussion has been closed.