Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

haverford vs. georgetown.

2»

Replies to: haverford vs. georgetown.

• bcashbcash Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Harvard and Yale both offer a classical liberal arts undergraduate experience, by curriculum and philosophy. I'm not sure how liberal arts oriented Gtown is. So in this aspect, Haverford may be more similiar to H and Y than Gtown. Also, I 've heard quite a few Harvard and Yale kids complain about not getting enough attention as undergrads (or not as much as advertised). Among Ivies, undergrads at Princeton, Dart and Brown seem most happy with their experience. These three are known for putting emphasis on undergrad teaching, which is a defining character for a small LAC like Haverford.
  • Harry BalzakHarry Balzak - Posts: 126 Junior Member
    No offense but I really don't see much in common between the two schools. I am biased but I can see no reason to even consider haverford over Georgetown. I am sure haverford is a good school but it is one of those tiny, suburban LAC's that are a dime a dozen. It's the "shabby shiek" version of higher learning. To choose a small school with limited social life, no major athletics, no major name recognition over a place like Georgetown is baffling to me.

Again, I am sure Haverford provides a great education but I don't really see the appeal beyond that. You can get a great education at more popular and fun colleges and have a better overall college experience. Personally, I think fear causes people to chose these small schools. Fear of the unknown. People want to be around like-minded people in a sheltered environment. I think parents push LACs for the same reasons.

If I could do it again, I'd consider the University of Miami, for example.
  • Luckie StarchildLuckie Starchild Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    ^^ Wow, you've got it all figured out! We really value your insightful analysis. That was extremely helpful... thank you sooo much!
  • newengland8newengland8 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Harry -

Can you explain the appeal of attending a D1 college if you are an athlete, but not good enough to actually play on the D1 team?
  • hellojanhellojan Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    Dave Barry went to Haverford. Can anyone offer a better endorsement?
  • platpengplatpeng Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    My experience, as a Gtown sophomore who just got his Haverford transfer acceptance:

Georgetown is great for some things. It's great at government and anything with 'international' in front of it, for example. Foreign language programs are great. It's likely solid prep for law school, foreign service, public policy and so on. However: do not expect to be challenged intellectually if you're interested in liberal arts/social science/art. Georgetown absolutely attracts a certain 'type'--overachievers, but not nerds. I've met too many people who have a 4.0 but never read outside of class. The party scene is big if you're into that, and Gtown basketball is pretty exciting. You can also vie to be the next Secretary of State. But if you want a good liberal arts education, look elsewhere. Georgetown's course list is very intro-heavy and the students are heavily career oriented.

Of course, I have to add that most Georgetown students love, love, love this place. So I could be wrong, or I could simply be a minority. If you find that what you care about is like what I care about, though, take this seriously.
2»
This discussion has been closed.