right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

ASMR (a tingling sensation in the head)

enfieldacademyenfieldacademy 2181 replies140 posts- Senior Member
edited April 2012 in High School Life
ASMR: What is This Tingling Sensation in my Head?

The feeling is most widely known as ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) or just the 'unnamed feeling'. Its sort of a tingling sensation that resonates in the head. Kind of like a pleasurable electric current. People often describe ASMR as immensely euphoric -- as they best feeling they've ever experienced

It can be triggered a variety of ways. From sounds (tinkling, crinkling, whispering); from physical stimulation (hair cuts, soft touching of the hair or shoulders, sunlight, wind); or from feelings of awe (often induced by certain scenes in movies or literature or real life -- moments where your struck by the ineffable vastness or magnitude of something -- where a sense of profundity really hits you). These are just some of the triggers, of course. For different people it's different.

I was pressed to look it up today, after having experienced it quite frequently lately. A few passages from the Bible (which I'm reading for my biblical lit. class) have set it off pretty intensely. In the past I've got it from haircuts and movies, and so on.

If you've experienced this, feel free to chime in! What were the trigger(s) and how would you describe it? Hopefully we can learn more about it and ourselves from sharing. There seems to be a particular subset of people that feel it (or at least the frequency of the feeling is correlated with personality types -- ones which are probably overrepresented here on CC).
edited April 2012
17 replies
Post edited by enfieldacademy on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: ASMR (a tingling sensation in the head)

• ASMRFreakASMRFreak 1 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    I’ll just leave this here:
    http://www.asmrelax.com/
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpliciousPurplicious 268 replies34 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    this is so exciting!!!!! Thank you for the interesting link! I ONLY feel this when I get my hair touched by other people (it's more intense when I don't know them very well, for some reason). Seriously man I am like purring inside whenever someone plays with my hair... and going to the salon is AWESOMEE.

I never even thought about the sensation as being anything special.. I thought everyone had this experience at some point in their lives!! So it's really not that common??? That's really astounding to know. I thought it was common. My mother hates getting her hair touched so I knew that not everyone had the feeling when they got their hair touched but... I assumed people knew about the the sensation somehow or the other.

It's super super strange to know that some people feel the sensation by watching or listening to certain things. I'm almost jealous. I've never had the sensation triggered by anything other than hair-touching. I like getting my ears picked (it's an Asian thing) and back scratched as a kid and I actually like people touching me/caressing me lightly (but everyone does) but it won't be the awesome tingly feeling. So yeah, hair-touching ftw.
    · Reply · Share
  • JimboSteveJimboSteve 822 replies12 postsRegistered User Member
    I did not know that anyone else experienced this. I have mentioned it in passing a few times, and the people stopped me and asked for clarification. No one ever even had an idea of what I was talking about.

It is exciting to know that I'm not completely alone in this awesome ability to feel awesome. One of the easiest triggers for me is someone explaining a procedure (e.g., medical operations, interview process, etc.) that is going to personally affect me. I just want them to go on forever... I figured I was just weird.
    · Reply · Share
  • YoungProdigyYoungProdigy 186 replies29 posts- Junior Member
    I have no clue what you guys are talking about... :(
    · Reply · Share
  • helloelhelloel 1868 replies38 posts- Senior Member
    Ahh, I get this when people play with my hair. Or when someone with a particular voice speaks very close to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • cchangedcchanged 410 replies29 postsRegistered User Member
    When I hear a piece of music that contains sudden high pitches ( I am not sure that's how you called it in English). Or when I see an extremely shocking, surprising, or colorful or full of noise scene in a movie. I get that sensation especially when the movie scene is moving very fast (like when a helicopter dives down suddenly).
    · Reply · Share
  • dfree124dfree124 3686 replies26 posts- Senior Member
    I have never felt this... clearly I am an inferior human.
    · Reply · Share
  • helloelhelloel 1868 replies38 posts- Senior Member
    Clearly.

10 char
    · Reply · Share
  • cchangedcchanged 410 replies29 postsRegistered User Member
    I get it too when my friend traces letters on my back or when someone is lightly touching my hair. It is pleasant.
    By the way, I think a similar feeling incited by music is called frission? Not sure.
    · Reply · Share
  • iwaitz4uiwaitz4u 258 replies31 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    The Super Quiz relay of Academic Decathlon. Every time I have done it, I get that feeling. Just one more reason to LOVE Academic Decathlon.
    · Reply · Share
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt 3980 replies131 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have no clue what you guys are talking about... :(

same here =(
    · Reply · Share
  • StudiousMaximusStudiousMaximus 3015 replies43 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I get this when I get my hair washed and cut at a salon. Not sure if other things work; I'll have to think about it. I didn't know there was a name for this.
    · Reply · Share
  • 98beebee98beebee 1634 replies28 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ooo, I get this when I listen to a song that's really haunting or just really good. Also when I get my hair washed/cut.
    · Reply · Share
  • Godot17Godot17 236 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I can self-trigger my own ASMR. Needing stimuli is so old school
    · Reply · Share
  • catchtwentythreecatchtwentythree 828 replies22 postsRegistered User Member
    This has happened to me before.... Whenever something moves me very deeply, or strikes me as astoundingly beautiful, I get that tingling sensation in my head, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I get extremely lightheaded for an instant, and it's like I have to surface from deep water. And then I'm fine. It's the strangest thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • Dan2014Dan2014 292 replies60 postsRegistered User Member
    I think I do this. I never knew it was weird or that others can't do it. I just feel so relaxed when I do. I usually do it to myself by just closing my eyes and emptying my mind.
    · Reply · Share
  • lldm21lldm21 1388 replies15 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    This always happens to me when I listen to music that makes me really sad, and it freaks me out to be honest.

Actually, I was just watching a video of "Michelle's Smiling" or whatever you'd like to call the song (Full House, John Stamos & Mary-Kate/Ashley Olsen) and it happened almost immediately.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity