Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doing Something BIG

LeftyyLeftyy Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in High School Life
Do you guys ever feel like you need to achieve something huge in your lifetime, or before you go to college? I always do, & it bugs me a lot because I have no idea what it should be, or how to go about it, or if I can even do it or not. It bothers me to know that I have the drive & am ambitious enough to set this kind of a goal but don't even know what the ACTUAL GOAL is. If you've heard of Gurbaksh Chahal, you know that he started his first online marketing company when he was just sixteen (which I'll be in five months), & by the time he was eighteen he was a multimillionaire. Another example is Mark Zuckerberg... everyone knows his story. There's a movie about it, isn't there?

I always wonder HOW these kinds of people come up with such huge ideas & how they have the knowledge of everything involved, & how they actually implement these ideas. (Mostly I'm just curious about how these ideas come to them. I want to do something big that will help someone somewhere, but I don't know WHAT it should be... I don't have any ideas. Am I trying too hard to GET ideas?)

So, I just wanted to know... does anyone else have the same issue? :P
Post edited by Leftyy on

Replies to: Doing Something BIG

• HPFan13HPFan13 Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    I think it's cool that you want to do something big to help someone! I totally believe that making someone smile is a big deal:) Start doing that..you never know whose life you changed by just caring enough to listen! Along the way, you might be the next Bill Gates!!!!! I believe if you want to make a change then you will!!!! Good luck :)
  • notanengineernotanengineer Registered User Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    I've gotten over this notion. My ultimate achievement, ideally, will be life. I don't need to do something significant by anyone else's standards.
  • almost therealmost there Registered User Posts: 1,417 Senior Member
    Leftyy we should team up and do something super badass and crazy big and then we'll be able to go wherever we want for college and we'll be one of those examples that make people feel bad because they haven't accomplished anything big yet.
  • LeftyyLeftyy Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    @HPFan13: That's a really great way of looking at it! =) I defs agree with you, the small things do make a difference, even if it's not widely recognized. (P.S. I love your username! :P)

@notanengineer: Also very true... that's the best way to look at it if you don't want to be disappointed, but also happy & successful.

@almost there: LOL YES!!!! Let's do it. =)
  • BillyMcBillyMc . Posts: 7,753 Senior Member
    Do you guys ever feel like you need to achieve something huge in your lifetime
    Revolution!
  • FrancaisalamattFrancaisalamatt Registered User Posts: 1,839 Senior Member
    Ya say you want a revolution. Yeahh, ya know...We all wanna change the world.
    Ya say you want a revolution. Yeahh, ya know...We all wanna change the world.
    Only the Irish half of the Beatles supported violent revolution.
  • HPFan13HPFan13 Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    Thanks Leftyy :)
  • nattileenattilee Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    ^I think it's safe to say that no half of the Beatles supported anything violent. All we need is love. Imagine.
    ^I think it's safe to say that no half of the Beatles supported anything violent. All we need is love. Imagine.
    Paul McCartney was sort of supportive of the IRA (Give Ireland Back to the Irish, justified Irishmen fighting Britain). John Lennon was outright supportive. Federal agents had files on his donations to the IRA, there are newspaper pictures of him and Yoko protesting for the IRA, he wrote Bloody Sunday and The Luck of the Irish, and he said, "If given a choice between war and peace, I choose peace. If given a choice between Britain and the IRA, I choose the IRA."
    Oh yeah, I'm sure they supported freedom and such. But mostly they wanted to spread the ideas of peace and love, an end to the wars and hate. Are you Irish, billymc? I think the few posts I've read of yours relate to Ireland in some way.
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn - Posts: 16,060 Senior Member
    BillyMc doesn't sound like an Irish name
  • NadizzleNadizzle Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    I feel the same way, but my problem isn't coming up with an idea, its following through with it.
    Yes, I am of Irish descent.

Look at the lyrics:

Paul McCartney
    Give Ireland Back To The Irish Lyrics - Paul McCartney

John Lennon
    Sunday Bloody Sunday Lyrics by John Lennon
    JOHN LENNON lyrics - The Luck Of The Irish

Further, Lennon publicly supported and privately donated to the Irish Republican Army.
    Oh, no I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm not sure of their views on that, so I'll take you as being right. I was just rambling.
    But man, I have 10 of their albums, and yet I don't have any of those songs, though I have heard Sunday Bloody Sunday before. Just goes to show how extensive they were.

And back on topic, I've always felt I wanted to make a difference and do something great too, though I was never really concerned about doing it in high school. I think my view has pretty much been of learning the most and using high school and (mostly) college as the means to be able to make this difference.
This discussion has been closed.