Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do you tell if you like math?

HaletonfordHaletonford Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
edited February 2011 in High School Life
Every career that I choose and am interested in is heavily involved when it comes to mathematics, same with pretty much every other job that is seen as top tier and prestigious. I myself want to be a shallow banker in NY with a degree in economics (HS Soph at the moment) and economics is pretty much all about mathematics, even though I believe it is classified as a social studies pathway. It would be too much to list every major career that involves math, so I will say the only one that I think does not is LAW, which I am not interested in.

I am not natural at math. I manage to get A's in my advanced math classes, but it takes a lot of hard work for me, while some others breeze through it. I am also severely handicapped when it comes to stuff like mental math. I literally do all of my calculations with a calculator. So, for me, math equates to a lot of hard work and, when it comes to homework, tedious and tiring work as well. I always get frustrated because they put the hardest problems at the end, when you are the most exhausted and do not have the drive to put in tons of time on just one problem.

Lastly, I don't understand how people say they like mathematics. I genuinely do not understand the concept of it. I don't exactly hate math because I know it drives our world, but I physically cannot process how someone would enjoy doing math and do it for fun.

I don't want to limit myself when it comes to my future careers because I know whatever it ends up to be, it will involve math, but at the same time, I don't really look forward to being behind and enduring hardship just because I am not naturally apt when it comes to mathematics.

P.S. A little about myself in case it helps develop my persona a little easier for analysis, so that you guys could advise me on if I would struggle with my career paths:
I am extremely based on logic and rationality, and am detail-oriented. One of my major extracurriculars is debate: even though I dislike politics, I like the intellectual battle of wits that it poses.
When it comes to all of my classes, I make my grades with an insane work ethic; I only have one natural talent that I enjoy and that I excel at, and that is writing.
Post edited by Haletonford on

Replies to: How do you tell if you like math?

• MIThopeful16MIThopeful16 Registered User Posts: 7,539 Senior Member
    How do you know when you like math?

When you dream of Maclaurin Series in your head.

When your calculus textbook is your baby.

When you could care less if you're naturally apt at mathematics and do a field related to it because you love that field.
  • ASadSnailASadSnail Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    When you reject going out with your friends and stay home doing math homework.. wait here comes the kicker... On A Friday Night! Game over. Nerd.
  • johannes1430johannes1430 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Most careers and professions require some degree of mathematical skills. Economics and business though, mostly use simpler "real-life" mathematics and not the esoteric hardcore skills like multivariable calculus. So if you don't particularly enjoy advanced math, do you like the more applied calculations and skills?

PS! Even law requires some math skills, like knowing how much to overcharge your clients and working financial cases.
  • sMITtensMITten Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    OP - what level math are you in right now?
  • EngineerjwEngineerjw Registered User Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but a huge number of high schools want to become NY bankers. Also, you do not have to like it to be successful at it - it is mostly studying.

I myself like math because it is black and white. There are definite answers (most of the time). It is not that I enjoy doing it, but that I appreciate it and its applications. Math is good to me because I know when I get the answer right more than in an essay or something. I excel in liberal arts, but I use math because many fields utilize it. I am majoring in industrial engineering because I am studious enough to do it, even enjoy operations and many non-math aspects of it. Even accountants I doubt love to crunch numbers, but do it because it is part of accounting as a whole.

My brother does genuinely enjoy math though. He deeply appreciates the philosophical nature of it.

I think I am very similar to you. I do not prefer math. I mean, I like it more than you I suppose. In a way I force myself to like it because it is baseline for many things.

My personal stance is to appreciate math, but not "love" it. If you want to banking it is heavy math, sometimes on the job, sometimes only in interviews or for the degree. Any way, math will be important to your career development, but you do not have to like it, merely handle it.
  • NulliSecundusNulliSecundus Registered User Posts: 1,843 Member
    I am extremely based on logic and rationality, and am detail-oriented. One of my major extracurriculars is debate: even though I dislike politics, I like the intellectual battle of wits that it poses.
    When it comes to all of my classes, I make my grades with an insane work ethic; I only have one natural talent that I enjoy and that I excel at, and that is writing.

Sounds like you have many qualities of a good lawyer to me. Fortunately, you don't have to decide yet. That's pretty much why I think I'll like law.
This discussion has been closed.