Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to get my parents to get a new house?!

Replies to: How to get my parents to get a new house?!

• ASadSnailASadSnail Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    You know if you burn it down they might have to buy a new one. But then again going to college with a small house is better than being in jail...
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,398 Senior Member
    Wesley...just don't tell me that you will be receiving a ton of need based aid.

You know...your parents are being sensible and practical. You are going to be MOVING OUT to go to college.
  • almost therealmost there Registered User Posts: 1,417 Senior Member
    Not if it was straining your parents financially. If they don't think that they can handle it right now why would you think that just because you want to move that it is the right decision to make?
  • rebeccarrebeccar Registered User Posts: 2,173 Senior Member
    How exactly is it a "personal goal" if it's your parents' money that pays for it..? That'd be like saying it's a personal goal to get a pair of $300 sunglasses for my birthday.

I think you should focus on more important things.
  • wesley108wesley108 - Posts: 1,192 Member
    @rebeccar There is more to the goal but it really personal so I didn't say it all... I will just say that I just really want a normal year before I leave....

Also what other important things?
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,591 Senior Member
    If your parents have to get their current house ready to be put on the market, this includes cleaning, painting, soemtimes recarpeting, etc. You will have to live in "house beautiful" with everything in perfect neat order in case a realtor comes by. You might have to run out on a few minutes notice if someone wants to see the house. Then if they do buy a new house, you have to pack and move. NONE of this is NORMAL your senior year of college. Come on, you can buy your own house down the road. And maybe your parents dont want the kind of place you do. Sorry, but thisis not about you.
  • rebeccarrebeccar Registered User Posts: 2,173 Senior Member
    Other things such as saving money for college, not procrastinating on your essays, appreciating immaterial things, etc... Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from. My high school years were filled with family illnesses and health crisises, and my house is a mess so it'd be lovely to have a neat, normal house for at least some degree of niceness and normalcy in my life, but it's just a house. More important things out there.
  • 2ndof32ndof3 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Maybe you should stop your whining and be grateful for what you do have...a home and parents.
    @jym626 I am only a sophomore and there is still time left in the year. Also we just looked at some possible houses, but I don't know if it was just looking to look or actually looking to buy... :/

@rebeccar I guess...
  • komaromy31komaromy31 Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    First step: stop making threads every 15 minutes
    Poor simple komaromy31....I don't do that! The forum requires you to wait 60sec before posting again...DUHHH!
  • MIThopeful16MIThopeful16 Registered User Posts: 7,539 Senior Member
    I honestly just shook my head at your last comment Wesley...

Anyways... A majority of people just can't up and buy a house. Be grateful.
    @MIT in a good or bad way?

And no I know it will take time but we are about to come into some money (death in family). So i know it will take some time
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,591 Senior Member
    poor simple wesley-
    komaromy said once every 15 minutes, not seconds. And it looks like he/she was being generous
  • AppleBeamAppleBeam Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    1) Make sure your parents have House Insurance.
    2) Go to your local hardware store and purchase all the tools you will need to burn your house down.
    3) Burn your house down
    4) Make it look like an accident
    5) Use the insurance you collect to buy a mansion near the Hamptons.

Problem Solved. You can thank me later. Tell me how it all goes OK :)
This discussion has been closed.