Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Rejection Letters

ChallengedChallenged Registered User Posts: 325 Member
edited March 2012 in High School Life
I really like that Amherst and Williams start out with: "We will not offer you admission" or "You have not been selected for admission..." instead of crap like:

-With great disappointment we inform you...
-It is with regret...
etc.etc.etc.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Challenged on

Replies to: Best Rejection Letters

• fln1049fln1049 - Posts: 70 New Member
    I agree with you. Screw the politically correct BS, they don't regret anything if they didn't admit you.
  • orangefrootorangefroot Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Eh, i feel better with the "we regret to inform you" letters. Jhu's was the worst. They couldn't even be bothered to write a long email. Yeesh.
  • Apoc314Apoc314 Registered User Posts: 1,310 Senior Member
    I thought Stanford's rejection letter was straightforward but also pretty comforting.
  • Davidabb84Davidabb84 - Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    I was waitlisted at Wake Forest, and their letter informed me that very few students get off the waitlist and I shouldn't stop making other plans. At least they were honest, and I didn't make it off, so they were right. (I don't think I would have wanted to stay in Winston anyway, but it would have been nice to have the accomplishment) I also appreciated that it came in an actual envelope in the mail and not as a freakin' e-mail.
  • cloudless33cloudless33 Registered User Posts: 218 Junior Member
    Harvard's waitlist letter was actually really nice, I thought. Complimentary, but still honest about the uncertainty of the waitlist.

MIT's rejected was really short and blunt.
  • SamonuhSamonuh - Posts: 1,051 Senior Member
    JHU's was pretty terse. I kinda liked it. No BS.
  • nervousohionervousohio Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    I got a rejection letter from a scholarship yesterday at one of the universities I applied too. It was something like this....

"Congratulations! We would like to take a moment to admire all of your accomplishments over the last four years! Your resume clearly demonstrates both strong academics and leadership which are two of the primary characteristics this scholarship seeks. It is with no doubt that you will do great things and experience sucess both in college and beyond. We cannot wait to see you next year at -University'sName-. With over 500 applicants, however, we regret to inform you that you have not been chosen as one of the scholarship recipients. Do not let this diminish your accomplishments...blahblah"

I scanned the ltter and saw the word regret and then was like oh well, didn't get it.

I just thought it was extremely funny that they openned the letter with Congratulations! and then proceeded to say a slew of compliments before telling you that you didn't make it. My friends who got rejected got the same letter. We all had a good laugh about it.
  • Davidabb84Davidabb84 - Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    @nervousohio: That's not very nice. If that wasn't I college I planned to attend I might give them a terse reply about not BSing people. No need to give people the run-around like that. "Admire your accomplishments," bah! Surely you are a wonderful student with a lot of accomplishments, but you know as well as I that if your application for the scholarship had just said "I eat paste" they still would have sent that same crock of crap, their compliments are empty at best and just throw salt into fresh wounds.
This discussion has been closed.