Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

English Help

tamang4tamang4 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
edited March 2012 in High School Life
Im in my freshman year and so far only thing killing me right now is English. My worst subject, and only subject I find boring. I was never that good in English, as you can see from this message it self. I feel like English is gonna be that one thing that will pull me down (we have to write one huge history research paper every single year till grad.)

To be more specific Im terrible at writing. I have no flow what so ever, and they never make sense. This like overlaps with my history class too, even though I have straight As in History. Any tips? Thanks
Post edited by tamang4 on

Replies to: English Help

• soksabaisoksabai Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Is English your second language?
    Writing is the one thing I'm confident anyone can improve on by practice. The more you write, the more you read, the more you know.

Reading helps more than anything. Search for books that actually will pique your interest. If you're bored too easily, get shorter books of the same quality. Just read frequently. :)
  • tamang4tamang4 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Yea, it is. I came to the US in 07. Ill try to read more, i guess. thanks
  • soksabaisoksabai Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    I see, I really empathize LOL I struggled with English, too.
    I know just reading and writing seems far-fetched, but you do get a grip of how authors use sentence structure to make their words sound verbally appealing. It'll sink in, or that's how it went for me at least. haha I'm a freshman too and I know it's a drag with all the schoolwork...but leisure reading right before you sleep is really nice.

If you ever need help with English or something feel free to PM. :) I used to tutor second language learners in my spare time and I'd be happy to help! It's my favorite subject. And I do write better English than how I type on CC, rest assured x)
  • cchangedcchanged Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    Write, then revise if you think it is not good enough. If you are unsure of a particular grammar rule, go search it NOW, NEVER LATER OR YOU WILL FORGET.
    Did you write your post colloquially or seriously?
This discussion has been closed.