Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Teacher recommendation help?

MandoggyMandoggy Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
edited April 2012 in High School Life
I have 4 recommenders to choose from for college. Help me pick 2!

Teacher 1: Sophmore history teacher and sports coach. Knows me the best/jokes with me all the time, but is only an okay writer.

Teacher 2: junior english teacher. Thinks I am a good kid and student, but we aren't super close. Excellent writer.

Teacher 3: junior math teacher. He is super nice and an excellet writer. We are okay close, but I'm not a mathematical genius.

Teacher 4: junior science teacher. this is the field I want to go into. He knows how smart I am, and I am close to best in career here. But he doesn't know me to well as a person, not too close. Good writer.

HELP ME CHOOSE! thanks so much everyone!

More about me: impression as a semi-quiet smart kid until you get to know me, then I joke alot obnoxiously but wittily.
Post edited by Mandoggy on

Replies to: Teacher recommendation help?

• JimboSteveJimboSteve Registered User Posts: 834 Member
    Teacher 1, as long as it doesn't devalue the relationship you have with him/her. He'll talk about you (hopefully) in a personal way that contextualizes your accomplishments.

Teacher 3. If he's as nice as you say, he'll really want to help you out.
  • nervousohionervousohio Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    I'm seconding the Teacher 1 and Teacher 3.

Teacher 1 seems to have known you for a long time and can talk about you both inside and outside the classroom.

Teacher 3 maybe won't talk about how you are a mathematical genius but can definitely highlight your hardwork in the classroom.
  • MandoggyMandoggy Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Thank you so much! It seems that personality/knowing someone well is emphasized, rather than ttheir impression of my aptitute/teacher's writing ability/sophmore teachers.
    That impression is accurate.
  • DescuffDescuff Registered User Posts: 4,031 Senior Member
    Teacher 1 and 3 are your good choice. Teacher 4 is like not exactly. Teacher 2 should be your alt.
  • MandoggyMandoggy Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Thank you all! I was really nervous because everyone was telling me to forget teacher 1 because he was my sophmore teacher.
  • smorgasbordsmorgasbord Registered User Posts: 1,803 Senior Member
    Thank you all! I was really nervous because everyone was telling me to forget teacher 1 because he was my sophmore teacher.

I don't think it matters. As long as the teacher can talk about you as a person, and not just write, "Mandoggy is a nice, bright, hard-working kid," you should be good to go.
  • dfree124dfree124 - Posts: 3,712 Senior Member
    I don't think it matters. As long as the teacher can talk about you as a person, and not just write, "Mandoggy is a nice, bright, hard-working kid," you should be good to go.

"Mandoggy is a nice, bright, hard-working doggy,"

FTFY
    ^^That is amazingly creepy-sounding.
This discussion has been closed.