Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ignorance is bliss.

enfieldacademyenfieldacademy - Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
edited April 2012 in High School Life
this phrase has been thrown around in so many ways now - as a concluding statement in exasperation, to mock me (!), and i don't even know what else - so i thought it deserved its own thread.

ENJOY :D.
Post edited by enfieldacademy on

Replies to: ignorance is bliss.

• cchangedcchanged Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    Truth or happiness?
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy - Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
    happiness ALL THE WAY :D.
    The first virtue is curiosity. A burning itch to know is higher than a solemn vow to pursue truth.

i'm pretty curious about that claim ^.
    The burning itch... Aught I know that feeling.
    Just curious. If one day your girlfriend or wife cheated on you, would you want to know? (Change the gender if you are the other gender). You don't have to answer, or just say yes or no.
  • GrammerNaziGrammerNazi Registered User Posts: 636 Member
    I used to think that saying was full of meaningless crap. Education on issues was necessary, people should try to seep in as much knowledge as possible because that makes for a better individual, etc etc.

As time went on, I realized that ignorance has its fair share of pros. Having no insight on pop culture in the western world is oddly liberating.
    Lol, I really don't know much about pop culture. Bad for making friends in high school.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    I'ld go with truth rather than happiness
  • ZombieDanteZombieDante Registered User Posts: 3,895 Senior Member
    Lol this thread reminds me of Persona 3 &4
  • retrohipporetrohippo Registered User Posts: 1,606 Senior Member
    I used to wonder which was worse of apathy and ignorance, but then I realized I don't know and I don't care.
  • JimboSteveJimboSteve Registered User Posts: 834 Member
    If one day your girlfriend or wife cheated on you, would you want to know? (Change the gender if you are the other gender).

How heteronormative of you. Just kidding.

Anyways, shouldn't we first define "ignorance" before we can argue this point in any systematic way?
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy - Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
    yeah we shud. thankfully no one is trying to be systematic about it in the first place though.

ps: i replied to some your comments about intelligence and wisdom in that other thread. respondifyouwanto.
    Jimbosteve: are you planning to become a lawyer?
  • Bookworm934Bookworm934 Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    @cchanged: Yes, I'd want to know for sure.

The search for truth can be futile ... curiosity=imagination=win.
    The search for the truth may be futile but not always meaningless. The journey to find the truth may be exciting, but once you find it, you feel empty. Hopefully we will all be able to fill that emptiness with something new. You fill the space with your curiousity and the whole cycle starts again.
    Between truth and happiness, I'll pick truth. I'll pursue and find my happiness later. I just can't imagine living like a happy fool without knowing the truth. Happiness is a state of mind. It doesn't pursue you, you pursue your happiness.
    Of course you can always be curious without ever trying to find the answer. But I will die of that burning itch if I don't get going, lol, even if in the end the search is futile. Action counts more than result for me. I will regret for the rest of my life for not trying.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    I don't think you'ld feel empty if you find truth. I think finding truth would lead to more of a joy like ecstasy, and then, like you said cchanged, curiosity since we can never know everything and one answer only leads to more questions than there were before.

if you're curious without trying to find the answer, the curiosity would die away. and then I suppose you really would be ignorant. but I can't understand how anyone can ever be happy knowing that they're avoiding the truth. wouldn't that haunt the person? how would it result in happiness?
  • IceQubeIceQube Registered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    Before we can discuss, we must first define our terms - rough paraphrasing of Voltaire.

If we narrowly define ignorance to be ignorance of government secrets, then perhaps ignorance is bliss. Just ask Julian Assange. I'm sure he didn't like being held up in court on charges of rape ;).

Assange is one of the luckier ones. Other people who had knowledge of government secrets were assassinated :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.