Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Visit and then apply or apply and Get in and then visit

2»

Replies to: College Visit and then apply or apply and Get in and then visit

• CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Registered User Posts: 1,827 Senior Member
    If you have 3 or 4 schools in the same area, it makes sense to visit. As Sue said, they may all seem similar, but each has its own personality and fit. We stopped at Bates and Colby while driving home from vacation in Canada - a couple of hours out of our way, but worth the trip. One dropped off D's list immediately (not enough trees), the other has moved to our reserve list. She also visited 8 colleges in NJ and PA in one weekend this summer. 3 tours, and 6 drive through visits, to get a sense of the campuses. With the small LAC's, they all seem somewhat alike, so it helps to narrow the field. We also considered a trip to the west coast to visit 3 colleges there, but ultimately decided those could wait for acceptances - but we did arrange for local interviews to solidify their sense of her commitment. The colleges will consider the context of visits - if you live within 2 hours drive and never visit, and they take interest into consideration, they're going to think you're not particularly interested.
  • desidolldesidoll Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm applying to colleges now too, and I personally visited all of the colleges I was considering applying to and it really helped me narrow down my list. However, all of the schools I was considering are about 4 hours away from my house at the most. I would say, if you don't feel you need to visit until you are accepted, then don't! You can visit to decide which school you're going to, because to be honest, it really does help to get a feel for the school on campus. If its inconvenient, don't do it!
  • ecouter11ecouter11 Registered User Posts: 1,515 Senior Member
    Interesting opinions!

I can see why visiting helps you figure out whether you like a place or not. I'm probs going to apply to a slew of schools and visit afterwards. My mom made a really good point yesterday though- that you can't really tell if you like a place in 1 day or 2. Sometimes there's instant love but lots of times people get turned off of because of one thing that might be in retrospect nbd.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,549 Senior Member
    Ecouter11-

Remember that you'll only have a short window for visits after acceptances come out. Unless they're geographically clustered you may not be able to see more than a couple of schools before you need to put a deposit down.
  • ForeINForeIN Registered User Posts: 908 Member
    Doesn't matter if you can afford to apply to as many as you want.Id say make a list of ten or less then choose your few dream schools and the safety schools where its easy to get into and local.
    I'm applying to 7 and have only visited two,1 was on an actual tour/field trip and the other was where I took my SAT at.But those are my local schools and only one is my safety school.The other schools id love to go to for school is kind of far but still in state except I've never visited or even saw the college in real life.
  • ecouter11ecouter11 Registered User Posts: 1,515 Senior Member
    @Sue22, good point there, but I think that'll be part of the fun :D. If I'm successful, then I have a reason to travel across the country and visit places. A lot of people I know did that and it was totally chill. Plus, if EA works out- I'll pare down my list significantly.

ForeIN, that's definitely a good strategy for some people but my family has different requirements/expectations, so I think I'll have to do a lot of apps.
    Wow just realized your username means listen in french...anyways id say try to narrow down your choices because if you do get accepted to a lot it may be hard to choose.
    And check the school's website/catalog to check if they have the major you want. If you can id visit the colleges that are further away since it can be very different from your area.And maybe visit schools you're not sure you want to go to yet.
    After applying or when you get accepted you can visit again to finalize your decision.
2»
This discussion has been closed.