Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

why bother going into relationships in high school?

Replies to: why bother going into relationships in high school?

• oneiros lykos8oneiros lykos8 Registered User Posts: 710 Member
    joking about what?
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    to warm up for college haha.
  • sarorahsarorah - Posts: 5,767 Senior Member
    dayamn we've got a bunch of sexaholics up in hurr
  • namastenamaste Registered User Posts: 3,027 Senior Member
    eh yeah its a waste of time. luvey duvey pukey. whenever i see a couple togehter i retch. no, not because im jealous. because its just gross to see two animals touching each other and giving each other littel affectionate kisses and stuff in public. or making out in public. whatever. anyway, why bother relationships? if ur a straight guy and the chick only will give u sex w/a reltaionshiop, then go for it, but dont really care. the purpose is for guys to fulfill sexual needs through appealing to woman sensitivity bs
  • cowgirlatheartcowgirlatheart Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    ... because it's awesome?

I've been a long-term relationship for 4 years and then some (yes, since 8th grade). We haven't had sex and don't plan to for a while anways (yeah, I'm waiting, take that!), so yes you can be in relationships for things other than sex! He's my best friend, and we talk to each other about everything. It's just so nice to have somebody you can hug when you've had a bad day, and we always have lots of fun going out (with friends or alone). We've applied to mostly the same places, and we're even planning to go to Europe together (alone) this summer.

I think high school relationships can be meaningful if you want them to be. Why bother?... I know that without my boyfriend I would probably be a stressed out nutcase and he would be too. We need each other to calm down, talk, be together, anything really. Just being with him makes my day. :)

It is definetly possible to have a relationship and a great high school record. I'm actually one of the stronger candidates for valedictorian this year (our school has a whole audition process) and I have the highest average in french immersion IB. We both know that school comes first, and my marks have actually gone up every year since we've been together. I'm also in a ton of time-consuming ec's, but all we really have to do is make sure we get some time together every day - lunch, hot chocolate after school, etc., and it's all good!
  • KissMeKateKissMeKate Registered User Posts: 1,241 Member
    yeah, we're all going to suffer the inevitable break up. but i'd do it because it's fun.
  • austinjaustinj Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    High school can be a pretty lonely place without best friends and girlfriends. After all, why bother finding a best friend if you shouldn't waste time finding a girlfriend?

My girlfriend and I (2 years May) are also waiting on the sex. I think she's waiting till marriage, I'm waiting till college! And no, we're not "perfect" for each other -- we'll be 10 hours from each other in a few months (we're senior) and our relationship probably won't last. But it's been a lot of fun along the way!
  • sneezysneezy Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    I agree that dating in high school is all just part of an experience. (Do you automatically expect yourself to be smooth simply because you're in college?) And as far as I am concerned (among my circle), no one is into sex—or is willing to admit it.

However, let me say this, long distance relationships suck. No matter how much you love your significant other. Suck.
  • scarletleavyscarletleavy Registered User Posts: 2,374 Senior Member
    I think relationships in high school are totally worth it. Even if they don't last they are important as you learn so much from them. I've had a couple boyfriends throughout high school and I learned some very important lessons from them.

My boyfriend and I will likely be quite far away from each other, the closest at all possible would be like 3 hours, the farthest a plane ride from NC to CA. We haven't really talked about what we're doing next year too specifically, but we are going to continue being friends and see each other if nothing else. I think we're going to try to make it work, but there are never any guarantees. And if it doesn't work out I'll be happy that I had something great at least for a short while and move on with my life.
  • FrddyGVFrddyGV Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    of course they're worth it no relationship lasts for ever and usually when high school relationships end many times its not because of graduation and moving out of state.

As they say on the 40 year old virgin. stop putting the P**** on a pedestal :D
  • ilovemath314159ilovemath314159 Registered User Posts: 980 Member
    i was wondering- for those of you who have relationships in HS- are any of you actually seriously considering marrying this person?
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    ilovemath,

I've been dating my current girlfriend since high school, and it will be 7 years in June.

I'm probably going to marry her.
  • ilovemath314159ilovemath314159 Registered User Posts: 980 Member
    oh thats the sweetest thing!
  • greenbaygreenbay Registered User Posts: 508 Member
    if you find a girl you like go for it... but some relationships in highschool are just two week flings
  • UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    but some relationships in highschool are just two week flings

And this is different in adult life...how?
This discussion has been closed.