Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Is my keyboard screwed for good?

jmoney22jmoney22 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in High School Life
Yeah, so it's a bit of an unusual post and I know, I know I should consult a technician or some tech website but that's too much work. And besides, a lot of you guys are smart and savvy with computers.
Anyway, about 5 months ago I accidentally spilled water on my laptop. Ok, a lot of water. I can still use the computer fine except some of the keys on the keyboard don't work (the circuit thing underneath is completely fried, i'm guessing)- like the letters E, D, F and number 3 for example. I've resorted to using the physical keyboard for every working key and then quickly pressing the e, d, and f keys on my computer's virtual keyboard. It's pretty pathetic.
Also, I did not tell my parents this as I have an unfortunate history of clumsiness and being an overall klutz esp with electronics...but first I'm wondering if it's an easy problem to fix.Can I just buy a new keyboard or even new keys/circuits and replace them?
Or is it dead forever?
Post edited by jmoney22 on

Replies to: Is my keyboard screwed for good?

• YakisobaYakisoba Registered User Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    There are keyboards with USB plugs. Just buy one of those; in fact, I'm using one right now.
  • quidditchcatquidditchcat Registered User Posts: 2,894 Senior Member
    Depending on what kind of computer it is, you may be able to remove the keys. Then you can see if the circuit really has been fried. But I'm not sure how well it works with laptop keyboards - only tried it on an old mac keyboard and turns out, something just got stuck in the key, and after I replaced the key it worked fine.
This discussion has been closed.