Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2018

Replies to: High School Class of 2018

• Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    I underestimated how overwhelmed I was going to be in French this year after not taking it for a year and joining a class that is way better at French then me. Our teacher speaks a lot of French to them really quickly, and I pick up maybe 25% of what she is saying to them. I just finished my first assignment and I feel almost panicky. We had to do a one minute flipgrid of us speaking about our summer, which required using past tense, which I barely remembered, which meant poring over old class notes and internally dying during my 6th period study hall :(( I'm sure I'll get there, but it's definitely going to take a while because the class I was in before (with my grade) didn't really take learning French too seriously so we all mostly spoke in English and struggled with speaking French during presentations and stuff, while the class I'm in now (with juniors) are way more advanced and can understand more French and when it's spoken fast, too. I just feel really overwhelmed and while I knew I would, I didn't think it would be to this extent.
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 342 Member
    Today was my first day of school and it was incredibly stressful. I got my schedule this morning (we never get them more than a day in advance). My first three years I really had no scheduling complaints -- I got all of the classes I needed, and I never had a teacher bad enough to cause me to transfer out. This year was very different. I requested AP Lit, AP US Gov, AP Econ (Macro + Micro in one class), AP Stat & AP Psych. I live in NY, where you need a semester of both gov & econ to graduate, so you typically have to take both AP Gov & AP Econ if you want to take one or the other because if you don't, you won't have the credits necessary. When I received my program, I had AP Lit, AP Econ & AP Stat, but no AP Psych or AP US Gov, and I was given English 11 and regular Gov instead. It turns out that, for the first time this year, there is only one section of AP Gov, which happens to be taught at the same time as AP Lit.

I was able to sneak into the guidance counselor during a free period, and I pretty immediately got English 11 swapped for AP Psych, so I was good on that front, and though I don't have AP Gov, I was relatively happy with my schedule. However, I'm afraid that they're going to take me out of AP Econ because it's a bit over capacity and, though I have the graduation requirements because I'm enrolled in regular government, I don't have AP Gov. My other option would be to transfer out of AP Lit and keep both AP US Gov and AP Econ, but writing is my thing and my teacher would be heartbroken. At the same time, I love the humanities and was really excited for both AP Gov & Econ, and sacrificing two APs to take AP Lit scares me. A bunch of kids in AP Lit have the same dilemma, and since AP Lit is a really small class to begin with, I'm afraid it may get canceled altogether if people start dropping it to take AP Gov. I really like my AP Econ teacher (who incidentally happens to be my non-AP Gov teacher), and he told me that he really hopes I can stay in his class. If I am forced to leave, he wants me to audit the class without receiving credit for it so that I can take the AP exam in May. I hope that, if it comes down to this, my guidance counselor will be able to explain my relatively light senior course load in the context of these restrictions...
  • agentaquastaragentaquastar Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    I just had an interview in front of the GS council. I was really nervous and stumbled quite a bit... But I was able to answer all of their questions, so I really hope I passed!
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    @Hamlon I had my MIT interview last night. Pointers:
    1) It will be very relaxed, because all they can do is help you get into MIT.
    2) be ready to talk about yourself!!!!
    3) think about strengths
    4) be you.
  • HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    @arinuma My interview was not what I expected. When I arrived, there was a dude ahead of me so I thought I would be waiting a while. 10 minutes later he's out the door and it's my turn to go. My interview was only 10 minutes too. I'm a little worried now because I thought it was common to have interviews that were at least 30-45 minutes. I talked about myself, but I think he's basing most of his interview letter off my resume.
  • frazzledazzlefrazzledazzle Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    Guess who's back from a hecking long hiatus??? Me!!!

Quick updates from when I was last here (who knows when that was. it's been too long):
    - I got a 1370 on the SAT first try (670 M, 700 R). I'm retaking it in November to try to get a 1500.
    - I kinda bombed my SAT subject tests in June (620 Math II, 650 Biology E, 660 USH). I'm retaking Math II and will be taking Biology E and/or Physics as well.
    - SSP was amazing! It was by far the hardest thing I've ever done, but it was such a great experience that will literally change my life. Because of that program I think I might have a chance at some top schools (mainly Caltech and MIT). Someone from MIT admissions came and spoke to us on open house day which was very nice.
    - My classes this year: AP French, AP Literature, AP Calculus AB, AP Physics C (both mech and e&m), Honors Band.

My college list at the moment:
    Safeties:
    UMaine
    University of Colorado - Boulder

Matches:
    McGill
    BU
    CWRU or Reed (trying to decide between the two)

Reaches:
    MIT
    Caltech
    Harvard
    Princeton
    Dartmouth (mom wants me to apply there)

I'm only applying to UMaine, Colorado - Boulder, and CWRU or Reed EA. The rest I'm applying to RD.
    I'm applying to mainly reach schools because I don't want to go to my state school. I'm already guaranteed $11k/year merit scholarships and I am doing work at the school already, but the school isn't a good fit for me (my mom thinks that too but wants me to highly consider it because it's a financial safety).
    I'm also trying to get fee waivers for my apps, so if any of you have advice on that it'd be great. I'm really confused.

@Hamlon @arinuma I might do my MIT interview already even though the deadline for me isn't until December 10. My interviewer is a state legislator, so I think it would be good to do my interview before legislature is in full swing.

My classes are kicking my butt so far (I've gotten 60% on 3 quizzes this week), but it was only the first week. I'm going to work harder since I want to get all As in my classes this semester.
    Holy cow that was long. haha
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    @Hamlon mine was two hours long, I've got both a good feeling and a funky one if I think too long. Half of the stuff that I mentioned- Questbridge, MOSTEC, Girl Up- he didn't know them. Wrote them down and asked questions about it. I was a bit reserved and quiet. Downplayed my achievements which is a bit of a head banger. But he offered to let me work in his lab next semester! So he must have liked me some.

@frazzledazzle that is very overwhelming. State legislator?
    @arinuma Yeah. I looked him up and found his state legislature page. He graduated from MIT with an architecture degree.
    How overwhelming?
  • acomfysofaacomfysofa Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    edited September 9
    I am happy to say my Doge 4 Family House fundraiser raised its goal of approx. $3,000! Could not have done this without the help of volunteers and the generosity of donators :) It is great supporting an amazing cause by the Family House organization: provide temporary housing to families of seriously ill children receiving treatment at UCSF Benioff's Children Hospital in San Francisco, California.

If anyone wants to see the website, it's the first link when searching "doge4familyhouse" on Google.
  • xxluvforeverxxxxluvforeverxx Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    Is it weird that I'm starting to love the ACT?
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    @xxluvforeverxx well I love taking standardized a lot more than I like writing college essays.
  • dietcigdietcig Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    edited September 9
    I took the ACT at the same testing location where I had an inappropriate proctor in June. I think my report kinda helped out in a way? Every room had THREE clocks instead of the usual broken one or none at all. My proctor was really nice too. And the test was free so that's a plus.

My predictions are pretty optimistic which is rare for me. I normally expect the worst so I'm not disappointed.
    33-34 English: thank you magoosh, and the 2-3 freebie questions testing "it's vs. its"
    31-32 Math: The first half was very similar to past June tests from 2017 and 2016! The second half was rough.
    33-35 Reading
    28-29 Science: I messed up on my timing and had to guess on a few :/ I got too wrapped up in solving a set of problems for a passage when I should've skipped to the next one.

Hoping I finally get 32+. At least that was my last ACT ever!
  • acomfysofaacomfysofa Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    @snowfairy137 I'm the opposite. I am --dreading-- these standardized tests, but I love doing my college essays; it's great talking about what I've done :)

It's also one part of admissions in the US that I really like that admissions here in Canada don't. US admissions look at who you are as a person, while Canadian (and probably the rest of the world) admissions only look at your grades. Even scholarships here are almost only given out for sports or volunteer work, and not anything else.