Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please note that there will be maintenance work done at 9:00am ET Friday, June 22nd. While it is very unlikely, this may result in 15 minutes maximum of downtime. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

High School Class of 2018

Replies to: High School Class of 2018

• frazzledazzlefrazzledazzle Registered User Posts: 844 Member
    @julia35002 I can't wait for it to be March as well. I don't want to be nervous about decisions anymore and I want people to stop putting me on a pedestal. My entire lunch table thinks I'll get into MIT/Caltech/Dartmouth/Princeton yet I highly doubt it.
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    March will be such a good month for me haha I will be released from the stress monger that is musical as well as my college decisions. Hopefully that's when all my colleges will give me my financial aid packages. I've been accepted to 4/6 so far and only 2 have sent me packages, which is increasing my stress dramatically.
  • carmen00carmen00 Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    @Marg532 I’ve been accepted to 5 schools and 0 financial aid packages! Most of them notified me of merit scholarships already, and I’m not expecting much else, but it’d be nice to have an official financial aid package. It’s just super frustrating.
  • ski_racerski_racer Registered User Posts: 664 Member
    I just my U of Idaho aid letter, and guess what? My cheapest option is now an OOS public, the U of Nevada-Reno. This site would tell you that's impossible, yet here I am.
    @carmen00 Yeah I've only gotten my merit/other scholarships (like from my mom's alma mater they gave me 2 scholarships that are legacy scholarships disguised as merit scholarships that cover OOS fees and bring it down to in state) but that's it except for the 2 I've heard from. I've sent them the FAFSA and everything too so I don't understand why they're being so annoying haha

Also on another note, I'm in the middle of this current events argumentative analysis for my AP Lang class and I found out that I forgot to do one of the requirements (identify 2 rhetorical strategies used discuss the effects of each) and while part of me is like "oh man gotta go back and do that" another part of me is like "I'm not even done and my essay is about 2 pages long would it REALLY be that much of a difference?" Ugh senioritis sucks lol
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 2,043 Senior Member
    @ski_racer ah I’d get a NMF full ride at U of Idaho so that is my cheapest option... funny that its also closer than my acutal state flagship, UW.
    @snowfairy137 you'd think I'd get that too; I mentioned it on my scholarship application. But they sent the letter and nope. Maybe they sent letters prematurely? Or perhaps the scholarship deadline I ignored actually did matter (not to sound rude but you'd think they'd be trying really hard to keep a kid like me in Idaho)? Either way, I'm not going to U of I. I'd be happier at Reno and I'm very fortunate that finances are not an issue.
  • frazzledazzlefrazzledazzle Registered User Posts: 844 Member
    @Marg532 March is going to be my most stressful month lmao. Science bowl states, state science fair, youth orchestra concert, concerto competition finals (if I make it), and college decisions for my top schools. It's going to be WILD.
    edited January 12
    @ski_racer did you get NMSF? (I’m probably not going but) they sent me a scholarship information letter too which was just WUE (150% in state tutition). If you get NMF though (which isn’t offical yet) and mark them down as your first choice college and stuff you get a full ride. Idk if that applies to you but good luck!

U of Idaho is a good school that’s fairly small with a nice campus and they give a lot of personal attention to their top students. Definitely apply for honors (they say they’ll email you with some essays to write but they haven’t done so yet).
    @snowfairy137 ye, but I'd still rather go to Reno. The skiing is better and like half the college- bound seniors at my school end up at U of I. For me, the tuitions are comparable as well.
    @ski_racer ah I misread your post! I’m probably not going to UI either even though its a pretty good option for me haha.
  • carmen00carmen00 Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    Had my last Calc quiz today, turned in my research paper, and my college stats class starts. Wow.
    I have a final for Calc next week, but I don’t need to take the final for English. This past semester really flew by.
    I don't know if you guys have ever had a linguistic breakdown before, but I had one today during my French unit test because I don't know the subjunctive at ALL and it was more than half of the entire test... But yeah that happened and then I had an ACTUAL breakdown, didn't finish my test, and left the class to "go to the bathroom" and bawled my eyes out. Then I went back after school and asked what my grade was and I got a 58% X_X but she told me I could finish the writing section that was fairly easy but I only did half of because I was actually losing my mind by the time I got to it, so that's something, right? Hopefully that will bring my test grade up to at least passing.

That was combined with my realization that even though I got an 80 on my Stats unit test last week (which is really good for me, because I keep getting 70s even when I study really hard), my grade can't raise any higher than an 86 before the end of the marking period in 2 weeks (because of the aforementioned 70s combined with the fact that she doesn't put homeworks in the gradebook which is super frustrating) PLUS I have a winterguard competition next week and our practices keep getting canceled for weather and now we haven't even finished our show and the part of the show we DO have done is so not where it needs to be... So yeah all of that piled on to me today and I just kinda died a little bit.

By the way for those of you who don't know, a linguistic breakdown is basically what happens when you can't think of the word for something in another language or how to write something in another language and it basically blocks you from being able to work around it or anything because your brain won't let you accept that you don't know it.
    Okay aside from the huge rant I made as soon as I got home because I was upset... I have a three day weekend because of MLK Day, and I have a bunch of scholarship applications to do and a huge AP Lang project that is due in March but I want to get some of it done early so I'm not stressed during the musical crunch the week that the project is due. So I made a study schedule for the whole weekend and I know that I won't be able to follow it exactly the way I've written it (probably) but I'm really excited to try and have a productive weekend to prevent mental health malfunctions later on in the next few months!
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    Not sure if this is any consolation, but a similar thing happened to me on my last AP Lit exam. I was running on about an hour of sleep because all of my teachers assigned work at the same time (end of marking period), and my brain just couldn't process anything. Nothing clicked. I think I got a C+... curved. My AP Lit teacher gives us so many assignments per marking period that I was still comfortably at a high-mid A, but it definitely stung. A similar thing happened in AP Calc last year, but my teacher dropped the lowest test so it ended up being okay. It happens to the best of us. @Marg532