Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Book Club!!

123457»

Replies to: Book Club!!

• quidditchcatquidditchcat Registered User Posts: 2,894 Senior Member
    I've heard of Gemma Doyle. However, since I haven't been interested in historical fiction in a while, I haven't read that series.

I remember Redwall vaguely. I read that all through 6th grade.

I need to reread Ender's Game.
  • agreatperhaps13agreatperhaps13 Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    I just finished Divergent, and I'm currently reading Insurgent.
    I finished the Divergent trilogy. I. Don't. Like. Tris. At. All. It doesn't really help that her physical description sounds like a person I'm not good friends with anymore. I relate more with Four. I liked the ending though. The ideas were great too. I just didn't like the narrator for most of the series. Maybe that's a problem.

I'm beginning to dislike female protagonists in general... Like okay, great, you're strong, you're a good role model for other girls, but the thought process. Just no. Stop. Nobody's that selfless. And the romance is just ugh.

It looks like they're screwing up the Divergent movie. Tris is too tall, and not dirty blonde. Christina is too short. I think they picked a good Tori though.
  • AnImpAfflictionAnImpAffliction Registered User Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    I really want to read Divergent!! I just don't have the time. :(
    Four is 18 in the book, but the guy who plays him looks 25.
    agreatperhaps, your name is a John Green reference like mine! *high five*
    I'm okay with the older Four because I imagine him to look older than he actually is from the books. At least look older than Tris.
    animpaffliction, I salute you, fellow nerdfighter. DFTBA!

*high five!*
    agreatperhaps13, DFTBA! I'm psyched for the TFIOS movie!!! 6 months to go! :P
  • PjessePjesse Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I kind of have a thing for Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, and N.K. Jemisin.

For anyone looking for an extraordinary tale written with incredible imagination, I recommend The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K Jemisin. It's mind-blowing.

On the other hand, I really liked that published diary called 'Go Ask Alice'. It was really.. Sobering.
    Another favorite is Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
    But I have to say John Green's book 'The Fault in Our Stars' is at the top of my list.

I don't understand how people can not like The Host, it's amazing. I cry every time #teamIan

Classics I'm not very fond of, but I enjoy Silas Marner and Jane Austen books :3

I also love the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books, aka 'A Game of Thrones'. George R. R. Martin is a bastard, he kills all my favorite characters!
    Omg Thirteen Reasons Why is such a good book. Jay Asher actually visited my local library sometime last year. I wish I got to meet him. :P

John Green is the coolest author ever. I still have to read Paper Towns and finish reading An Abundance of Katherines. I've read The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska.

I want to read some of the classics, like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Little Women, etc.

Alas, I have no time to read. :(
  • UKgirl23UKgirl23 Registered User Posts: 2,922 Senior Member
    I've just read Death Comes to Pemberley and I've been inspired to go and read Pride and Prejudice now, but it might be a while before I get to it :(

Have any of you read the other books in the Ender Saga? I only discovered the series last year and I got the third book for Christmas.
    I've read all three of the classics you just mentioned, but I just have a thing for modern Fantasy haha :3
    Jay Asher and John Green are both amazing authors, but so are Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks. I recommend them for anyone @animpaffliction
    OH! and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's perfect for all you computer savvy people. I enjoyed it, and I can barely work Word hahaha xD
123457»
This discussion has been closed.