Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
wcao9311wcao9311 Registered User Posts: 934 Member
edited December 2013 in High School Life
If you win USAMO( I wish) then what would your chances at MIT be?
Post edited by wcao9311 on

Replies to: Chances

• TeamRocketGruntTeamRocketGrunt Registered User Posts: 1,464 Senior Member
    If that's the only thing on your app, probably as slim as the next person's.
  • DigitalKingDigitalKing Registered User Posts: 905 Member
    Winning USAMO is one of the most prestigious recognitions in the country. You'll be fine if you write good essays and show a little leadership (no college wants someone without a personality!).
    There's a girl who gold medaled at USABO, and she was rejected from every top tier school but MIT. So, nothing's guaranteed.
  • fieldsofpoppyfieldsofpoppy Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    ^^ wait HOW?!?! I would have thought winning the USABO would have made her a definite admit everywhere!!
  • elf4EVAelf4EVA Registered User Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    ^Not every school is as much of a meritocracy as MIT is. Olympiads are huge for MIT, but leadership and such things are more important for other top-tier schools, e.g. Harvard.
  • fieldsofpoppyfieldsofpoppy Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    omg the fact she didn't get in is one of the scariest things I have ever heard :(
    Apparently a guy who built a nuclear reactor in his basement was rejected from MIT.
  • wcao9311wcao9311 Registered User Posts: 934 Member
    ^ I think they did that just, so they could say that. I wonder if u would get rejected if you built an anti-matter bomb.
  • Godot17Godot17 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    I'm sure that would break a few intergalactic laws and you'd be rejected for having a disciplinary history.
    Yes, but his (nuclear reactor guy) essays could've been awful. Having one thing on your application doesn't make you a shoe-in ANYWHERE; they evaluate your application as a whole. If you're severely lacking in many parts, having one great part isn't going to do much.

If you win an Olympiad but you have virtually no other ECs, it basically shows that you shut yourself in your room for hours at a time to study. While that probably wasn't the case for the person I'm talking about, that's the impression it gives.
    Yes, I realize that applications are evaluated holistically. I was trying to make the point that, like you said, one single impressive thing on your application doesn't guarantee admission. And that you don't have to build a nuclear reactor to get into MIT, thank God haha
  • mayee107mayee107 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    WIN USAMO?? Not just qualify? Given that other parameters are good, I think you would definitely get into MIT, especially since they ask for AMC scores and stuff on their application, right?
    ^Again, NOTHING guarantees admission to MIT or any other top tier school, for that matter.
This discussion has been closed.