Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Proper Thank You for a Letter if Rec.?

SamiLaine13SamiLaine13 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
edited December 2013 in High School Life
I recently got accepted to my top school ED so I figured now would be a good time to give thank you letters to the teachers who wrote me letters of recommendation. Unfortunately I really have to idea how to go about this. Should I just write them a card, would getting them a small gift seem like too much, what about a giftcard? Any advice of this would be appreciated.

Edit: sorry about the typo in the title, for some reason my phone autocorrected of to if -_-
Post edited by SamiLaine13 on

Replies to: Proper Thank You for a Letter if Rec.?

• SamiLaine13SamiLaine13 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Bumppp please help
  • Rob1995Rob1995 Registered User Posts: 938 Member
    I just made my teachers some brownies haha. I then went and thanked them personally.
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    I gave my teachers Christmas gifts before I had even received a decision from any school since I figured that if I got rejected from XYZ school, it probably wasn't the result of their recommendations - so I wanted to show that I was grateful nonetheless. I gave both of them books (that were specific to their interests) along with small thank you cards that read:
    "Thank you so much [Preamble's Teacher] for taking the time to write me a letter of recommendation and help me through the college process. I appreciate it very much! Sincerely, Preamble1776"

If getting them a gift - make it somewhat personal and ideally under 30 dollars. Accompany the gift with a thank you note. Gift cards imo are too impersonal.
  • yayitsme123yayitsme123 Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    I just got accepted to carnegie mellon ED and I got my guidance counselor a carnegie mellon teddy bear (small) and got nice carnegie mellon pens for the teachers that wrote me letters, and I'm gonna write them cards. A small gift is cool, maybe from the school you got into's bookstore, but a thankyou card is plenty.
  • SamiLaine13SamiLaine13 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Thanks guys this advice really helped! I would make my teachers food (I love to bake) but my school has a strict policy on bringing in homemade goods. Maybe I'll get them something small from the school I was accepted to
This discussion has been closed.