Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2014: How many schools did you apply to?

Replies to: Class of 2014: How many schools did you apply to?

• my88keysmy88keys Registered User Posts: 1,219 Senior Member
    Right now, I'm applying to 14. I'm not sure if I'm accurate on the whole reach, match, and safety thing, but I believe I have 1 safety (accepted), 7 matches, and 6 reaches.

My parents want me to apply to some schools offering scholarships for NMS. My dad's also trying to convince me to add Columbia and/or Cornell to my list, so my number of schools may expand.
  • cc20148cc20148 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Planned on applying to 5 (NYU, Bard, Vassar, Emerson, and University of Hartford), applied to NYU and Bard Early Decision. Got into both and now going to NYU :)
  • Humanity23Humanity23 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    10! 3 private reach schools, 4 public matches and 3 safeties (2 public, one state-related). Accepted to four and rejected from MIT so far.
  • collegebound752collegebound752 Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    i just pushed myself and set aside time to work on apps. i'm completely done but friends of mine are only applying to 10 and have many left :p
  • quidditchcatquidditchcat Registered User Posts: 2,894 Senior Member
    I survived by pulling multiple all-nighters, a lot of coffee, and much frustration. That was not fun, I definitely don't suggest it unless it's really necessary (i.e. extremely pushy parents who don't listen to anything their kids say, financial aid, etc.)
  • minorcaminorca Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    11 because of paranoia of
    1. finances
    2. being that kid who was rejected to every college

I don't consider it to be that many (6-8 is what I consider normal). I know of one kid who applied/is applying to 26.
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    I applied to 18. I was accepted to two of them, both with full scholarships. I'll be hearing back from a few more this month and then the rest will come in March-April.
  • RepedeRepede Registered User Posts: 2,446 Senior Member
    The plan's 12. I've applied to 9 already. 4 safeties, 5 matches, 3 reaches.
  • quidditchcatquidditchcat Registered User Posts: 2,894 Senior Member
    Oh, I'd also like to add that I survived by cutting off all interaction with people from school unless it was absolutely necessary. As in I had no social life.
  • CollegiateDreamsCollegiateDreams Registered User Posts: 980 Member
    6 CA public schools + 10 private schools + 4 private schools (free applications) = 20 schools...
    I still have to submit 7 of the private school applications, but they are almost complete.
  • xye100xye100 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I felt like I only have a little...... but 11 in total.
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    Some of my friends who are low income are part of a College Preparatory program that gives them all the fee waivers to schools that their heart desires, so many of them are applying to 15+... One girl who is at the program only applied to two, lol. Georgetown and UMass Amherst, and she was rejected at Georgetown. :/

I was also paranoid about the whole "getting rejected everywhere" so I found a few schools that would accept me with 99.9% certainty, and even then, I'm still nervous about their decisions.
  • katastrophickatastrophic Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    7: 2 safeties, 3 reaches, 2 matches
  • detpeacedetpeace Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    4... A safety, two matches, and a reach early action. I planned on applying to 12 (8 through regular decision), but I got into my #1 choice/reach EA and I'm satisfied :)
  • 1sparkle21sparkle2 Registered User Posts: 833 Member
    Twelve!! 1 safety, 2 matches, 9 reaches.
This discussion has been closed.