Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Prep school applications HELP!

cookiesandcreamcookiesandcream Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited April 2006 in High School Life
Hi! I'm want to apply to SPS, MPS, Milton to name a few for entry this Sep. I know that with late applications, my chances are lowered.

I currently attend the top private school in my country (Im not from the US), and my grades are mostly Bs and Cs, which is considered average in my school which consists of the top students in the country!

I know that most applicants probably have straight As, and my school transcript will look very bad next to those transcipts. I will be sitting for the ssat, and I am pretty confident of a good result. However, I've read that schools don't really bother about the ssat results when reviewing an applicant (is that true?).

Also, I intend to apply for financial aid.

So in summary, I am a late applicant with not-good (haha i dont wanna say bad) school results, but hopefully high ssat scores who needs financial aid. I guess its pretty obvious my chances are really really low. So should i apply anyway, or continue where i am?

Please help me!
Post edited by cookiesandcream on

Replies to: Prep school applications HELP!

• cookiesandcreamcookiesandcream Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Or are there other good prep schools with not as high admission standards that someone can recommend?

thanks!!
  • prepparentprepparent Registered User Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Why don't you wait till next year. This way you can concentrate on improving your school work, and you can apply during the regular cycle. Tjerwise< I'm afraid you'll be setting yurself up for failure. Good Luck!
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    You're also competing with students from the top private schools in our country, (The U.S.) who have straight A's. I'd get your grades up if I were you before I even start thinking of prep school. :)
  • PUNKiiEPUNKiiE Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    Don't go to MPS! I heard it's a horrible school. Milton is good. SPS? Never heard of it.
  • elvenqueen10elvenqueen10 Registered User Posts: 786 Member
    Punkiie-
    don't make judgements about things you don't know (MPS is a great school)... how would you know MPS is a horrible school if you have never been there?

Cookiesandcream-
    I highly recommend you focus on your grades and SSAT scores. My brother has a bit of a rough start. Schools were concerned about his earlier grades, but he pulled off a great finish (the upward trend is love) , got in to quite few schools, and now he's in all junior and senior class as a 15-y-o sophomore.
    As far as MPS goes, I'm currently a senior (and obviously have more perspective than punkiie) there and I have loved every second of my experience here. I originally didn't want to apply here and was forced. I wanted to go to Choate. But after my revisit, I loved the school. It felt very welcoming, but challenging. The girls weren't always trying to cut each other down and always supported each other through and through. Though MPS doesn't have a super low admissions rate, we also don't have as many applicants as our co-ed competitors b/c some people are turned off the all-girls thing. However, it is truly and excellent school for growing as a student and a leader and the education is at a very high level (despite what punkiie has depicted). I recommend you come visit, but I realize that might be hard depending on where you live.
    Feel free to PM me ANY and ALL questions you have.
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    Punkie, SPS is St. Paul's School in New Hampshire.
  • PUNKiiEPUNKiiE Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    Elvenqueen10, I'm talking about a different MPS. >/ Not Miss Porter School.
  • elvenqueen10elvenqueen10 Registered User Posts: 786 Member
    wait .... which mps is the original poster talking about then?
    srry about that, MPS is officially the miss porter's symbol so I didn't even think twice
  • Burb ParentBurb Parent Registered User Posts: 2,100 Senior Member
    In mid-April, go to http://ssat.org/ . They will have a list of schools with openings. You can also go to boardingschoolreview.com and look for schools with rolling admissions. There are some wonderful schools (like Northfield Mount Hermon and Williston North Hampton) that often do not have full enrollment by April 10th. My guess is that it will be very difficult to get financial aid at a school with almost full enrollment. This is only a guess. My impression is that grades are far more important than SSAT scores. I am not an expert in this area.
This discussion has been closed.