Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

RSI 2006 Introductions

Replies to: RSI 2006 Introductions

• vanileavanilea . Posts: 534 Member
    do any of you guys have myspaces?
    corinao, we have the same interests in systems biology: neat
  • tweetletwoottweetletwoot Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    I'm so excited about meeting all of the Rickoids!!!!!!

*squee*

Name: Mary
    State: OK
    GPA/rank: dunno
    PSAT: 230
    AP's: I took AP physics, apush, and spanish last year; this year I am taking stat, euro, chem, and english...and freaked out about them... :-)
    Extracurriculars/Offices: ISEF in 2004 and 2005...raman spectroscopy...astronomical spectroscopy...nothing much else... :-)
    Fields/Subfields of research: Physics, astronomy; Chemistry, physical
    Research experience: ISEF
    What you think got you in: my application ;-)
    And, most importantly, political affiliation and your views on stem-cell research: lol...........I'm a vegetarian :-)

Oh! Also, a little bit about yourself, your interests, etc:

OMG when I read your post, Cindy, I was sooooooooooooooo excited because I happen to be....somewhat...*ahem*....obsessive over certain types of *coughHarryPottercough* fanfiction. Needless to say:

What are your favorite ships!?? What are your favorite characters!? What are your favorite sites!? I'm in love with fictionalley. I'm so easilly excitable...

Yes, I know, I'm odd. ;-)

Anyway...as for my other *coughnonexistantcough* interests... :-)

I'm in love with music of all types; I play piano, harp, and flute (badly with the flute though). I also play recorder. I'm in love with baroque classical music and anything beethoven and I also like rock...and...and radiohead...and the beatles...and other stuff.

I am a bit obsessive with spectroscopy. Maybe that's what got me into RSI. Mostly I love physics and math to death...I think they are the most awesome subjects ever...

I like birdwatching and gardening also. And I like to take AP tests, because I'm just odd like that. I can't think of a lot else at the moment...but I can ramble for ages about my interests... ;-)

Anyway I'm sooooooo excited about RSI... I don't have a lot of questions about it yet, but I'm sure I will as it gets closer.

Excited about hearing from all of you...

~Mary aka tweetletwoot~

p.s. If I seem excessively hyper, pay me no mind. It's the CEE letter that did it... :-)
    wow mary, that's totally awesome that you play so many instruments! I wish i was as musically inclined as you, but sadly the only instrument i've played is the clarinet, and that was way back in elementry school.
  • ZFrankelZFrankel Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Sorry I made a mistake on my stats: 760 Chem, not 700. Also, I have a few other questions for past Rickoids:
    How much non supervised time are you given?
    Should I pack anything special(including a box fan)?
    I sent my letter of repsonse to the CEE, but should I email them as well to verify they got it?
  • fRiT0fRiT0 Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Bringing a fan is a good idea. Simmons doesn't have AC, so it can get kind of warm. Your nonsupervised time depends on your mentorship. There are generally several guest lecturers each week, so that will tie you up from maybe 7-830ish in the evening. Bedcheck is at 11 every night and takes maybe 20 minutes, but you don't actually have to go to bed afterwards... few people do. You'll have plenty of time to hang out and do whatever during the week, and the weekends are very open. Maybe I'm forgetting some stuff... someone help me out. The first week is pretty structured b/c of the lectures and orientation stuff, but after that it's very open for the most part.
    Quick question: When should I book my plane ticket? I know its really early now, but I'm afraid it will be really expensive if i book it later because it will be during summer rush.
  • ZFrankelZFrankel Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Oh also, do I give any input as to who ends up as my mentor/what lab I work in. If that was vague, what I mean is will RSI tell me "here is your mentor/lab go do a research project" or will they say "here are some possibilities, which do you like best?"
    And how much money should I bring(assuming monetary constraints aren't much of an issue)
  • tweetletwoottweetletwoot Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    I have a few questions I have finally came up with...

With our research, do people usually just get assigned the topic they listed first on the application? Do some get the second topic they listed? How do people end up coming up with a research topic?

If you are accepted to and attend RSI, do you have a good chance of being able to get accepted into MIT / other top universities for college? I read that MIT accepts 1000 people or about that many as freshmen, and that gave me courage... :-) I have always been worried about getting accepted into a good college, as well as paying for college.

~tweetle~
    I have a question about research as well. From past research experience, I know it can take me more than 6 weeks to come with the research question in of itself because of the indepth research involved. I'm afraid that I won't know enough about my topic of research, especially if it something completely new. How has that worked our for you past rickoids? In addition, when we give the presentation on the last days of RSI, is our research expected to be completed? I'm a bit skeptical about my ability to do a complete project within such a short time frame
  • zogotozogoto Registered User Posts: 2,464 Senior Member
    1) While I am aware that RSI is going to be really intellectually stimulating(and by that virtue, in a way, extremely exciting and fun), but would you describe it as an enjoyable experience, not simply a valuable one?
    2) For Bio Rickoids: In my past research getting results for experiments often takes far more than a month to conduct meaningful research. How do you and and your mentor manage the seemingly difficult time constraint?
    3) How much time do you have that is not schedules, excluding mentor research time?

ZFrankel, Benecke got you on (1), as far as (2) goes, I was bioinformatics so my project was sort of computer science, but from what I hear from the bio kids, it IS possible to get things done quickly. Your mentor and you will plan it carefully and be efficient, but a real bio person should be answering this.

And (3), most people work at the max a 9-5 day (I worked like 10:30-5 usually), so you can do anything you want from 5-1 or so. PLEASE keep this in mind: bedcheck isn't really "bedcheck" meaning that you don't really have to go to bed or anything. I bet some kids went to bed at bedcheck (which was at 11) but really bedcheck is just the one time of the entire day where RSI knows where you are. You meet in your counselor for 10-20 mins and you learn news and stuff. Most of the time, my night started at bedcheck cuz I only finished dinner at around 7 or so, and we had lectures three times a week (or was it two?) so we were really only free around 9:30 or 10 anyway and there's not enough time between then and 11 to do anything so we had to go after bedcheck to do stuff.
    Oh also, do I give any input as to who ends up as my mentor/what lab I work in. If that was vague, what I mean is will RSI tell me "here is your mentor/lab go do a research project" or will they say "here are some possibilities, which do you like best?"
    And how much money should I bring(assuming monetary constraints aren't much of an issue)

ZFrankel, RSI should contact you with some questions on more specific research interests (they did for me). I'll send you it if you PM me, as soon as I get my desktop computer working. RSI matches you with a mentor though, you don't have to do any background research yourself.

As far as money goes, I would say bring $200-240 like it says in the brochure (I think). This is for eating out (off-campus), seeing movies, going to Rocky Horror (heh), etc. You could theoretically survive at RSI for $0 because you get some outrageous amount of Techcash, like $740 (?), so you could spend like $19 on food at La Verdes each day, but it would probably be less fun since you couldn't eat off campus like at Harvard Square and all the weekend trips.

With our research, do people usually just get assigned the topic they listed first on the application? Do some get the second topic they listed? How do people end up coming up with a research topic?

If you are accepted to and attend RSI, do you have a good chance of being able to get accepted into MIT / other top universities for college? I read that MIT accepts 1000 people or about that many as freshmen, and that gave me courage... :-) I have always been worried about getting accepted into a good college, as well as paying for college.

RSI tries its best to match you up with a mentor based on your first research interest, or in my case, a combination of both. And yes, if you get into/attend RSI, you will be 100% (pretty much, as long as you are a domestic applicant) guaranteed into every college except Harvard, which is like 70-80%. MIT is like 110%.
    I have a question about research as well. From past research experience, I know it can take me more than 6 weeks to come with the research question in of itself because of the indepth research involved. I'm afraid that I won't know enough about my topic of research, especially if it something completely new. How has that worked our for you past rickoids? In addition, when we give the presentation on the last days of RSI, is our research expected to be completed? I'm a bit skeptical about my ability to do a complete project within such a short time frame

Past Rickoids (before I ever attended RSI) told me that the one most amazing thing about RSI (besides the students, I suppose) is the ridiculous amount of work that seems to magically get itself done. I say magical because you're having so much fun that you forget all the work, but the projects are really really good. What field are you? Unless you are a bio project, you can be certain to have a really good project at the end of RSI, provided you put in the work. A lot of bio projects get significant progress and some even finish, but in the limited time-span, bio projects suffer the most.

I hope I helped :)
  • kinglzkinglz Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    zogoto wrote:
    you get some outrageous amount of Techcash, like $740 value

Oh and be sure to save up your Techcash for the end-of-RSI-buy-everything-you-can-lug-home-from-Laverde's-shopping-spree ;). The selection of items you can actually buy and bring back is pretty limited ... so I had to spend my 80 or so dollars on shampoo, floss, toothpaste, etc... but still, another side benefit of RSI: not having to buy hair or dental products for several years ;).
    zogoto wrote:
    I bet some kids went to bed at bedcheck (which was at 11)

If you mean sleeping during bedcheck then yes lol. (Not that I'm advocating any of you 06ers do that if you're in Andrew or Cindy's counselor groups ;)) But yeah I definitely agree with zogoto that post-bedcheck RSI is when all the fun happens!
  • corinaocorinao Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    zogoto, haha, wow...that def. helped :)

I have a few questions myself:
    1. What time should we arrive at MIT on June 25? Will I have a place to stay if I get there in the morning (sometime before noon), or would it be better to arrive at around like 3ish pm?
    2. (Idk if someone already asked this, but) When will our mentors contact us? Before RSI?

...er I had some more questions, but I can't quite remember them right now..
  • corinaocorinao Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    ALSO, what would be some nice presents to give teachers who wrote the recs? I mean, I would have gotten them presents even if I got rejected, but I haven't had time to go shopping lately, so...yeah. Gift cards? (they're both male teachers, so I can't get them stuff like flowers, lol.) Any suggestions?
    zogoto, I actually put down systems biology and biomedical engineering, I don't know which one i would want to do. I've never done engineering before, and have delved in bioinformatics...sooo...i'm leaning towards systems. Also, can I continue a project that I'm currently working on in RSI? It's in quantum chemistry, and wasn't listed as one of my fields, but it would be a lot easier for me to expand upon this project than learn a completely new field.
This discussion has been closed.