Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

From 1 AP to 4 or 5 APs and an Honors?

CosmologicalCosmological Registered User Posts: 839 Member
edited May 2014 in High School Life
So I just got back the courses I am approved for senior year and my friends told me they worry about my sanity

Philosophical Foundations of Christian Thought (Required Religion Course. Basically Philosophy but a lot of work.)
AP Comparative Gov and Politics (1 Semester)
AP US Gov and Politics (1 semester)
AP Literature and Composition
Calculus (AP Calculus if I do well in my Precalc summer course)
Chemistry Honors (No AP available)
AP Physics 1
Military Science 12 (JROTC. Meets half time and doesn't really count towards cumulative GPA but it does take up time)
Music Theory 2 and Audio Production Techniques (Meets half time)

This year I was only in one AP course, APUSH, and a regular senior Physics course.

I know that on CC a lot of kids take 5+ APs, but this is pretty much very rare at my school. Most kids take none or one or sometimes two APs their senior year at my school. My friends said I should drop one or two but I really don't want to. I think that most of my workload will come from AP Lit and AP Gov, because I really enjoy the math based courses. Can any of you tell me about your experience with a courseload like this, especially if you come from a school where most don't take that many APs? This courseload is also a bit much because most kids at my school take 6 or 6 and a half courses, while I have 7 full time courses and 2 half time courses. I think I can get A to A+s in AP Physics, AP Calc, Chem Honors, Philosophy, and Music Theory 2. I don't see why I can't get at least A-s in AP Lit and AP Gov if I work hard, but I might have 4-5 hours of homework a night, and I will have to really cut down on procrastination and manage my time better.

I also plan on self studying for both AP Physics C exams, and since I'm in Chem Honors next year I might self study for AP Chem. Other possibilities are self studying for AP Computer Science A, and maybe self studying for AP Stats but I really don't know if I want to do that and take 9 or 10 AP exams at the end of my senior year.

Any comments you can make are greatly appreciated.

Replies to: From 1 AP to 4 or 5 APs and an Honors?

• CosmologicalCosmological Registered User Posts: 839 Member
    I also have a question about foreign languages. In order for me to take AP Physics senior year, I had to forego Chem Junior year and take 2 sciences next year. This leaves no room for a 4th year foreign language, and I only completed Spanish 3. Would taking the SAT Subject Test in Spanish in November while getting a high grade (750+) offset the lack of a 4th level Spanish?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,116 Super Moderator
    Personally, I would work Spanish in somehow, unless you have the oppy to do it over the summer or online, or at a cc. Other than that, I think the schedule is fine. The schedule plus self-studying 4 AP's, when one of them is Physics C, is insane.
    edited May 2014
    I think my school screwed us over but fixed it for the year right after me. My class year was one of 2 class years that started freshman year in Physics. I wanted to do AP Physics senior year, so after taking Bio Honors sophomore year I had to take Physics 2 as a prerequisite because Physics 1 Honors didn't count. Then, the honors sophomore kids who started in Bio and then did chem where allowed to take AP Physics or AP Bio their Junior year, not having so many prereqs. I have absolutely no room for Spanish also because I go to a religious school so I have to take a religion course. If I try to get in Spanish 4, I'd have to get rid of Chem and I haven't taken that yet, or I'd have to give up both military science and music theory. I have been in the JROTC and Varsity Band for 3 years now, and it would look bad to get rid of those ECs that are important to me just to take Spanish. Also, I'm 1st trumpet in the afterschool jazz band, and you have to take the class to be in band, and I think a lot of people would be very disappointed in me for quitting band, as I am the most important trumpet (Not to brag).

I also am not dropping math because stopping at Precalc is just stupid for someone looking to apply to STEM focused schools. I just hope that a high SAT subject score in Spanish will be ok.

I am also self studying for AP Physics C definitely so I can get a head start on taking advanced Physics courses in college. Those will probably be the only APs I self study. I was just sort of thinking of Comp Sci because it might be useful.

But no, I don't really have the option of online Spanish over the summer, and I don't know a whole lot about taking a course at a CC, nor do I think I have the time. If you can give me some more info on that, that could be really good, but I doubt I will be able to fit it in.
  • perazzimanperazziman Registered User Posts: 2,376 Senior Member
    Some top universities have stopped giving credit for AP courses. others will not give credit for more than four or five. So, it seems they are not that impressed by lots of APs.I would recommend taking no more than 2 or 3. Work hard to get 5s and As and spend the rest of your time developing good ECs.
    edited May 2014
    Well, by impressed do you mean in the sense of admissions? I would think they think taking AP classes is better than regular courses. Taking Physics C would be at the end of my senior year so it wouldn't be for admissions, but all of the schools I am interested in give credit for the STEM APs (Except for AP Physics 1) like Calc and Physics C. I just wanted to have as rigorous a schedule as possible. My school has this policy where if I'm in an AP like APUSH, I am expected to apply for a course like Euro or Gov, and the only way to not take Gov for me was to get a bad grade in APUSH, which I of course didn't want to do.

Also I do think I have good ECs that are ongoing and hit my interests, like president of New York State Science Honors Society, Stellar Astrophysics course at Museum of Natural History in NYC, soon to be intern at the same museum, some other science ECs, and then some other 4 year ECs, so I think I am alright there. Nothing nationally recognized though. I might take the AMC in February next year and see if I can add it to February updates for my applications.
This discussion has been closed.