Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Back to school shopping...

2»

Replies to: Back to school shopping...

• long2181998long2181998 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    $230 at Ross for jeans and shirts and another $150 at Abercrombie. Then about $30 bucks for supply because Staples love to cut throat on their binders
  • medicszmedicsz Registered User Posts: 470 Member
    Tax free weekend starts soon :) get ready for the battle of mothers.
  • YakisobaYakisoba Registered User Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    Do you guys buy a small binder for each subject, or large binders for multiple subjects? I usually do 3 large binders for 5 subjects and 1 small binder for 1 subject, but I may want to change it up a bit.

Also, what do you think of a small folder for ALL homework assignments, regardless of subject? I'm a pretty lazy person and tend to just stuff all the crap I get from my teachers in the side pockets instead of putting it in the rings. I'm thinking that if I put all my homework for the night in one binder, then I have a lower chance of forgetting it, and I can just transfer each completed assignment to its respective subject's binder with relative ease. The only downside I can think of is if I lose the binder, I don't get any of the homework finished for that night.

Thoughts? lmao
  • medicszmedicsz Registered User Posts: 470 Member
    @Yakisoba‌ If we're talking about highschool here.. some people vary in how they use their binderes.
    Such as at my school, my teachers each require 1 binder per subject :\

Also about homework folders.. I'm not sure how effective those are, because most of the people I know who use the folders for homework organizing usually lose their papers.. (maybe they are just unorganized)?

I'd like people to give more details on whether that is effective or not for the average organized student^
  • BardinatorsBardinators Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    I spent about $350 on clothes and $150 on supplies.... ;P
  • sunsh0werssunsh0wers Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    $0 on clothes (I don't buy clothes just for school haha), ~$50 on supplies
  • ErenYeagerErenYeager Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    @medicsz

HW folders are not effective for me. I prefer to have a finder for each class, and split each binder into 5 categories:
    Notes, Warm-Ups/Practice, HW worksheets, HW bookwork, and returned tests. Then when I get home I pull all my binders out, see if I have HW, and when I'm done with HW/studying for that class, I put the binder back in to my backpack. I also have a planner which I write down my HW in and what classes I need to study for.

Then again I'm organized to a ridiculous degree.
  • afroninja26afroninja26 Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    All you need to buy is paper, pencils, gum, and a few folders
  • CornballCornball Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    I've bought about half my school clothes. I more or less shop throughout the year though.

For supplies I use one 1.5 inch binder for ALL my classes. I have a section for each class, and the dividers have folders in them. Things I take out a lot (formula sheet, reference sheet, HW due that day, etc.) go in the folder. Every week or two I take out things I don't need (WSs, graded things, notes from old units, etc.) and I put them in manilla folders which I label as I go along (Gov reading notes, Physics problem sets, etc.). I've found I have no reason to keep notes from one unit in my binder when we're in a different unit. I also carry all my stuff (said binder, pens, pencils) in a small drawstring bag as opposed to an actual backpack.

Teachers try to get me to have a separate binder for their class, but I've never once needed something that wasn't in my binder, unless they did a stupid notebook check.
This discussion has been closed.