Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Easy senior year vs rigorous?

avm405avm405 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
Im choosing to have a job and work this year. Last year i took 2 ap classes, 2 honors, and was struck on how hard it was. Luckily i made it. Now im a senior and planning to take 4 ap classes 1 honors is it worth it? I dont know how i could do it with a job if i struggled last year. Or should i just take 3 ap classes, 1 honors, 2 on level, and an off period???
Overrall i know colleges want to see rigorous courses but im really just so tired of it all.

Replies to: Easy senior year vs rigorous?

• TotallyTrudyTotallyTrudy Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    I'd do the 3 APs. Taking 3 instead of 4 won't make or break your college acceptance. It's best to not overdo it. Get really good grades in them though. Quality over quantity
  • avm405avm405 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Thank you. I think thats a good idea too. I dont want to over do it at all. I think i can make good grades in those classes. im planning to take ap eng 4, ap comp sci, ap stats, honors pre cal, govern/eco, art 1, and an off period. do you have any experience with any of them??? :)
  • TotallyTrudyTotallyTrudy Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    Sorry I don't personally. I'm taking honors PreCalculus this year also. My friend who's taken it says it's pretty hard.
  • smallkid9smallkid9 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    I had an early release period + orchestra + AP Lit,Gov,Eco,AB Calc. Idk about your school, but gov and eco tended to be a bit busywork (to counter senioritis of those with college acceptances). English and Calc took majority of my effort senior year.
  • joscarterjoscarter Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    I took Honors Pre-Calc last year and had a great teacher. However, it also depends on your Algebra II teacher as well-there were some things I didn't know because they weren't covered Algebra II and should have been. Plus I'm not that good at math so there's that.
  • avm405avm405 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    @smallkid9 awesome!! so do you think i should just stop worrying and take that early release period and stay with 3 ap classes? do you think colleges would really care about that??? i heard that colleges dont like to see you took an off period but im doing it cause i have a job. Do i have to tell them that in applications?? thanks
  • smallkid9smallkid9 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    One of the few similarities between my school's valedictorian and me was that we received permission from HS to have an off-period due to eventual graduation with excess HS credits.

Anyway, colleges aren't going to hold a grudge against you for doing it. They know their applicants have their own circumstances which may/may not had influence their academic career. You can mention your job in the application if you wish.

Best of luck to your studies (and work, too) :)
This discussion has been closed.