right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Really unusual dilemma?

PolyglotGalPolyglotGal 239 replies38 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
My junior year is about to start. Obviously that is the most important HS year. I have everything prepared and I'm ready to ace this year. However, I have been offered an unusual job. It's unusual in the sense that I'll have to travel, take quite the amount of pictures, and do quite a bit of walking.. My family is extremely poor and this job guarantees quite a lot of pay. However, it is most definitely disruptive and my life will change, should I choose to accept it. I don't know about this job. With education, everything seems more....safe.. This opportunity I've been offered is a once in a lifetime chance. I just don't know if I like the idea of online schooling. I don't know what to do. Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I really need some guidance here.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Really unusual dilemma?

• z0e101z0e101 273 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    You're gonna have to give more info than that. You're describing as a once in a lifetime opportunity where you get to travel and take pictures. To me, that sounds amazing. But that doesn't mean it's right for you. It could be a unique thing to put on an application and you may get an incredible outside-the-classroom educational experience in the process.

In the beginning of middle school, I was accepted into an elite gymnastics training program. This selective team practiced about 7 hours per day, from morning to afternoon, 5 or 6 days a week. I did online homeschooling for all 3 of my middle school years in order to participate. Though a combination of really unfortunate events resulted in the end of my gymnastics career, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I learned some of the best lessons about discipline, commitment, hard work, and more. I also came into high school just as well prepared as everyone else there.

It all comes down to what's important to YOU. You also mention the money earned could help your family. I suggest sitting down and making a pros and cons list. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • PolyglotGalPolyglotGal 239 replies38 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    @z0e101 thanks for the advice. I guess my info about the opportunity doesn't exactly suffice. We're not talking about some National Geographic photo campaign that's groundbreaking or anything. This once in a lifetime opportunity is modeling. I have no idea how ad-coms view it. But I feel like it will be better than working in fast food.
    · Reply · Share
  • rosebud30rosebud30 58 replies35 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    @PolyglotGal‌ Be wary of any modeling deals that you are offered, and be sure to thoroughly research any company that makes you such an offer. I recently read a news story about how modeling agencies are taking girls from poor families in other countries (such as Japan or China), offering them money and a chance to travel the world, only to leave them stranded and without financial assistance once they got to another country. I know that this offer seems really lucrative, but you really need to read the fine print before you commit to anything this serious.
    · Reply · Share
  • WordworkerWordworker 869 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 869 Member
    And let a lawyer read it, too. Call a law school to ask about free legal clinics, or try Community Legal Services.

What experience have you had as a model? How much will it cost for travel, headshots, etc? If the company is lending it to you, what will happen if you can't pay it back?

Several years ago we had a poster who had been offered a modeling deal. Some of the things she told us made people advise her to say no. You might look for that thread, which involved a modeling contract and space in a shared apartment in New York City.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity