Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will my application look bad if I quit this club ?

ayyyyyayyyyy Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
I'm a rising Asian female junior in upstate NY (close to Manhattan though). These are the extracurriculars I'm doing this year.

-Music (viola since 4th grade)
Community youth orchestra; principal viola, since last year helping to organize and fundraise for an orchestra trip abroad. Equivalent to founding a club. (since 9th grade)
Composing a piece for my school orchestra this year.
All county, other music festival, All state alternate (hopefully I'll get in). Also district orchestra

-Photography; Class at Parsons the New School in 10th grade, started a blog then. Planning projects on redefining and reclaiming beauty with teenage girls this year. Maybe will enter in some contests

-Dance (starting this year. I know it's late but I feel extremely passionate about it.)
Hip hop dance classes
School step team (starting this year)

-Girl Scout Gold Award work this year. At least 3-4 hours every week. Planning volunteer program and teaching younger Girl Scouts.

Also, I'm going to try to become fluent in Spanish and take the National Spanish Exam, and also learn computer science on my own this year.

**** (this is the one I want to quit) Quizbowl Varsity Team. I'm second or third best on the team, I like to study and learn about new things, and I won an intraschool competition as captain of a smaller team. I'll probably be captain as a senior, but I like learning more than I like the club. I don't really get along with the advisor or the current leaders.

If I quit the club I could pursue music, photography, and dance more, which are things I really love. I could also learn outside of class more independently.

But I'm afraid if I quit, the teacher, who will definitely teach me AP Calculus in 12th grade, will dislike me even more. I'm also wary that I won't really have leadership positions in school. People say that passion matters more than leadership.

What do you all think? Will I be okay if I quit the Quizbowl team and lose my one possible leadership position, but replace it with things I'm very passionate about?

Replies to: Will my application look bad if I quit this club ?

• ayyyyyayyyyy Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
  • QuadMasterQuadMaster Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    Uh...I guess you could drop it, though I'd advise sticking through it if you're really the 2nd/3rd best in the team as you say(more for the sake of the school/team rather than yourself).

Anyway if you choose to drop it, you can just not put it in your clubs/activities section in the common app. I'd recommend reposting this question in the college admission topic, since here you'll really only get advice for current HS students like myself.
  • ayyyyyayyyyy Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Okay, thank you
This discussion has been closed.