Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What classes should you take before going to college in America.

aly15berkeleyaly15berkeley Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
Hey everyone! I am an international student in Ukraine (my family is mostly American but I lived my entire life in different countries all around Europe and I am completing my high school in Ukraine) and I never went to any educational institution in America but I am planning on attending a university there. I am almost done with all courses I need to graduate from high school and I am doing some APs this year. Are there any courses American unis will expect me to take (apart from 4 years of English and Math obviously)? I am especially interested in US history since social studies aren't my strength. It would make sense to take at least a year of US history, but do I need to go any further and take US Government for example? Thanks for any info

Replies to: What classes should you take before going to college in America.

• ribbonroad224ribbonroad224 Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    4 years english & math (like you said)
    3 years lab science if possible (physics, biology, chemistry)
    4 years foreign language (is this just english for you?)
    4 years social sciences (history, psychology, government, etc.)

Those are just suggestions of course. Different colleges have different requirements and recommendations.
  • aly15berkeleyaly15berkeley Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you! Do you think taking US history or US government is crucial or useful in any way? Or should I stick to just world history?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,211 Super Moderator
    Do you think taking US history or US government is crucial or useful in any way?
    Is it crucial? No. Is it useful? Well, if your are coming to live in a country for 4 years, it would certainly be helpful to understand some of the historical background.
  • aly15berkeleyaly15berkeley Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.