Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My parents are mad that I'm taking so many AP courses?

2»

Replies to: My parents are mad that I'm taking so many AP courses?

• Animefan1998Animefan1998 Registered User Posts: 718 Member
    She was mad because you'd rather do your homework and to talk to her? No offense to her, but I'd rather do my homework than talk to her if she's acting up like that. Shisus. I hope you guys resolve things soon.
  • RHSclassof16RHSclassof16 Registered User Posts: 922 Member
    I don't condemn you for taking 4 AP Classes, I am doing the same this year. I have no idea what the 4 AP Classes you are taking this year are though. My only comment on that is make sure that you aren't taking more than you can handle, if you can't get mostly A's with a few B's with your schedule, then maybe you should make it easier. I don't know you or your abilities, but I think getting All A's with 2-3 AP Classes will look better than getting mostly B's and maybe a C with 4 AP Classes.

As far as your mom goes, I would probably suggest not talking to her about school period for the time being if it's just going to cause conflict, just let her have her space for a week and then maybe try to talk to her. If you get stressed, vent to other people that you know will be supportive, if you can't find that in real life, then vent on here.

Side note, I think AP US history is probably the classic courses in which the difficulty of it depends almost entirely on your school/teacher. I have heard people say AP US history was the hardest class they ever took, had ridiculous amounts of homework, had to study 3 hours a night to get a C and etc. I just started AP US History as a junior, and have heard it is incredibly easy and so far that has been the case. She told us we will never have any regular homework (Besides reading 8-10 pages from the text book every night) and there will be a couple of projects this year. Other than that you have no homework, but obviously you should study for the tests. And she curves her tests like crazy, (Every test is out of 30 points, 1 point per correct answer, but the tests have 45 questions. So if you got a 34/45 on the test, then you get a 34/30 as your score.)

So it really depends on your school, AP Euro at my school was pretty easy as well, but AP Calculus (Which I'm taking) Is really hard and I get a **** ton of homework.
  • CornballCornball Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    Obviously, I'm not condoning your mother's actions; however, if you ever want to come to terms with her, you have to realize she has some valid concerns.

Last year your parents saw you take 1 AP class, and leading up to the exam (when it's the roughest) you were apparently cranky, rude, and extremely stressed. This year you're taking 4 AP classes, which in their mind is quadrupling your workload and stress levels. Obviously, not all AP classes are equal, but to your parents they probably are.

I don't know when school started for you, but it has to still be early and you've already started feeling cranky (if only PMS level). Whether you think it's cranky enough or not to warrant their worry, school's barely started. I'm sure their imagining you in May rampaging around the house looking for your lost highlighter.

Furthermore, stress isn't healthy. If your parents didn't see you properly handling it last year, you can't blame them for being worried about you having to handle 4x that amount. Needless to say, that doesn't mean your mother did no wrong in this scenario. What it does mean however, is that both of you need to address these issues with an open mind. While you can't make her view your side, it would help you both not to ignore her opinions as irrelevant and uninformed of the "realities" of applying to college.

Additionally, you need to address to her how her actions have hurt you, without attacking her. For example, you need to refrain from saying things like, "You hurt my feeling when..." and phrase them like, "I felt hurt when..." If your mother feels attacked, or like your insinuating she's a bad parent, you two aren't aren't going to get anywhere.

To clarify, I'm not saying you've been ignoring her opinions, or that you think she's a bad mother. I'm reminding you that you don't want any of that to come across when you talk to her, which is why it's important to have this conversation when you're both fairly happy and comfortable.
  • CrystalIceCrystalIce Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I'm taking 6 AP's as a Sophomore (due to a horrible schedule correction accident), and my parents are doing anything but bringing me down! Your parents should support you in a hard time like this, not bring you down and make you hate yourself. Just keep doing what you're doing, and only change your course work if YOU want to. Not your parents.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,045 Super Moderator
    edited August 2015
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    One should assume that this situation has resolved itself; the thread is a year old. Use old threads for research only, but do not resurrect. Closing.
2»
This discussion has been closed.