Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Self Study AP US Gov & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Biology

swimmygirl123swimmygirl123 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
I am taking AP US Gov & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Biology, AP Statistics, and AP US History. However, the teachers in the first three classes don't teach anything, so I will effectively be self-studying them. I absolutely need to get 5s on all of my AP tests, so I'm starting to study now. Can anyone give me tips to teach myself the material? I ordered prep books (Barrons for Stats, PR for Bio and Gov), but what else do I need to do? I saw that the AP US Gov test changed too so I'm a little worried that my prep book won't be enough to study for it.

Replies to: Self Study AP US Gov & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Biology

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,220 Super Moderator
    I absolutely need to get 5s on all of my AP tests
    In the grand scheme of life, in terms of things that you absolutely need, 5's on AP's should rank pretty low on the list. Regardless, lower your expectations since only 6.5% of students get a 5 on the Bio test.

While I usually like PR, I personally think Cliffsnotes is better for Bio. Your other choices are fine.
  • Kaiser1418Kaiser1418 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    what are u talking about? in my school over 150 ppl take the AP bio test every year. 55.6% get a 5.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,220 Super Moderator
    ^ Perhaps your school has extremely talented teachers, but 150 students out of 214,000 is not a representative sample. Worldwide this year, the percentage of 5's was 6.5%

http://www.totalregistration.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=494&Itemid=118
  • QuadMasterQuadMaster Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    edited September 2014
    what are u talking about? in my school over 150 ppl take the AP bio test every year. 55.6% get a 5.

Did you get stuck with the bad Bio teacher then? If so you should report this to your GC(unless it's like the first week of school for you in which case wait a week). Otherwise you should probably be asking that 55% percent of students in your school for help, since they'll have a better grasp on what you already know/don't know.
This discussion has been closed.