Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Chemistry Prep

NinjaduNinjadu Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
What are the best ways to get a 5 on the NEW AP Chemistry exam? I have a pretty bad chem teacher, so I'm looking mostly for ways self-study.

My plan so far is to:
Read the textbook in detail
Use 5 Steps to a 5

Any other suggestions or tips from people who took it last year?

Replies to: AP Chemistry Prep

• rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,292 Senior Member
    Get as many sample exams as you can. There is also AP Chemistry on ALEKS (www.aleks.com) which might be worth it for you; it's adaptive learning so it advances as you master topics. The price is relatively reasonable.
  • cbhawks50cbhawks50 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    Fortunately, I had a teacher who was very knowledgeable in chemistry and had a lot of AP connections. He got a hold of the Demmin AP Study Guides which I thought were very helpful in preparation of the test, as I got a 5.

I would definitely make sure you understand lab practice and procedure. A lot of the AP Chem exam was theoretical instead of straight memorization. For example they would give you a lab experiment and you would have to determine the cause of error or the verbal explanation of why something happened. Whereas the old exams might have you explain the mathematical components of Gibbs Free Energy, this one focused on general chemical reasoning behind it. There was very little like "what is the ionic form of Fe" or what is the symbol of "mercury".

Also, know how to do free response, and pace yourself! I'm not sure if they're going to shorten it this year as literally no one finished last year, but it's important to do questions you know first, and then move on and to get as much done as possible
This discussion has been closed.