Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2019

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• bway5492bway5492 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    @WCEdmonds LaGuardia goes from Algebra 2 to precalc, but you can test out of precalc and go straight to AP Calc AB (which I did). And to answer your question, no, but I am taking the ACT in September...
  • WCEdmondsWCEdmonds Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @bway5492 Oh, that makes sense. Cool. Good luck! Sounds like a good time to take it. I was planning to take the SAT in December, but changed my mind once I thought about what it would be like to still be prepping while also getting ready for midterms etc.
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    @WCEdmonds I will probably sign up for October if I do not do well on Saturday.
    @kimclan1 Good luck! I hope it goes well.
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    @WCEdmonds Thanks! I was surprised to hear that the test centers downstate filled up so quickly. I live in Livingston County, NY and we had vacancies in all August centers well into August.
    @kimclan1 Yeah, they did. Probably because it's the first time the August test has been offered and it is at a good time--before school starts for a lot of people.
  • GiovuhnniGiovuhnni Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    I'm taking the SAT in October. I'm scared but I'll deal. I'm taking the PSAT too, just to get some extra practice and I think it's only $15. I've decided to take the AP Calc AB exam at the end of the year to get college credit for it, IB Math SL is essentially the same thing but it won't give me much college credit. Anyways, I'm happy bc I only have 2 IB exams this year! I have 4 senior but that's alright. I'll self-study for AP Chemistry just in case I don't get college credit for IB Chem SL, and I might take AP Lang although I don't know if that's smart since IB English 1 focuses on diff things and English is not my strongest subject.
  • IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 31
    @WCEdmonds I'm also taking the SAT in October, I figured that I could chop two carrots with one knife by studying for the PSAT and SAT at the same time.

@Giovuhnni You're can only take 2 IB exams junior year. You shouldn't treat the PSAT as practice for the SAT, but rather as the real deal because if you do well enough, you could qualify for NMSF and potentially get large scholarships.
    What classes are you taking?

My schedule has changed, I didn't sign up for DE classes in time, but my state has a new graduation requirement where all students have to take math every semester regardless of what level they get to. So now my schedule is:

IB English HL
    IB Biology HL
    IB Biology HL
    IB Chemistry SL
    H Spanish 4
    TOK
    Chorus/Yoga
    Independent Study Math SL (even though I've taken BC calc) (1st semester)
    DE Math (Linear Algebra, Differential Equations or Biostatistics) (2nd semester)

Senior Year
    IB English HL
    IB Biology HL
    IB Biology HL
    IB Spanish 5 SL
    TOK
    EDD (PLTW)
    Chorus/AE (PLTW)
    DE Math (whichever ones I haven't taken)

This means I can't take IB Psych, which I was looking forward to, but this way I can take my art credits in school rather than as an AP Art History class online.
  • literallyliteralliterallyliteral Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Literally buried in summer homework. Have a week til school starts.
  • EternalBluSkyEternalBluSky Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Is it just my school or is IB history 1 summer assignment super easy? We literally have to do just 10 sentences about how we have IB student traits. No wonder almost everyone has an A in that class.
  • IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2
    School starts on Tuesday and the only summer assignment I finished was for IB History and was pretty easy.
    Now I have to finish reading and annotating a book, write an essay about a short story and finish a review packet for chem.
    Obviously the logical response is to waste time on CC.

Why am I so irresponsible?
  • VaporeonKidVaporeonKid Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    School started two weeks ago for me — adjusting to a new school has been tough and I'm trying my best to keep a positive attitude through it all! IB has been great so far, though, and it hasn't hit me yet how hectic the school year will be.

Now back to homework I've procrastinated on!
  • OMPursuitOMPursuit Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    edited September 4
    Currently at 4 weeks of school. APUSH is crazy, send help. Math class is crazy. I might take Hon. Algebra I next year!!

Is anyone else studying for F=MA? If so, would you like a bad-*** physics groupchat??
  • TN034154TN034154 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    I was wondering if any of you have published a research in a science journal before? How did you do it? because I want to do my own research, but have a professor from a local university doing the same are of researches be my mentor. I want to publish it in the science journal (because i love researching and will put a lot of effort into it and i want to see it somewhere such as the science journal ). I dont know if I can do this or not and idk if it will work. If any of you have experience please let me know. And to be published does your research have to be ground breaking or like a new discovery or something?
    @TN034154 I'm getting published for some research I did this summer. I worked in a lab at UMass Amherst and did some electrophysiology research. The more prestigious the journal , the more impressive the research has to be. If you want to publish in Science, you'd better have some pretty fascinating discoveries, since you're competing with professors and labs worldwide. I'd recommend writing to anyone whose research you're interested in. If you're lucky, they'll ask to meet you. Feel free to ask any other questions.