Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2019

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• OMPursuitOMPursuit Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    @TN034154 Furthermore, publishing should be your end-end-end goal. Find research you like doing for the sake of it. Most high school researchers doing their own projects (whether or not they're backed by faculty) are *never* published, and those that are often don't get into prestigious journals. Most *undergraduates* are never published!
    If you really really wanna get 'published,' you could try joining an ongoing project... but don't expect to be a first author.

Then again, you don't need to be a published researcher to get into college, and any real experience should help you land a lab in undergrad... and produce something really quality later on.
  • sammycpsammycp Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    My Junior Year Schedule

Honors wind ensemble (we're traveling to New York for the Grand Nationals!)
    US History (I decided to drop APUSH because of extracurriculars and I'm a STEM person)
    AP Chemistry
    AP English Language and Comp.
    AP Calculus AB
    (2nd semester add psychology or journalism here)
    Golf

I'm in lots of academic, community service, or science based extracurriculars but I feel like my schedule is not rigorous compared to everyone else on here! I've always been a straight A student so I wanted to make sure I'm taking classes that I can get all A's and pass the AP exams in. Let me know your thoughts, congratulations to everyone on your schedules this year, and good luck with everything to come!

• WCEdmondsWCEdmonds Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @OMPursuit Thanks for adding that. That's completely true. My lab was pretty great in that they had me doing projects on my own pretty quickly this summer, which is the only reason I'm getting listed as an author. But, as OMPursuit says, getting published shouldn't be the main reason you want to do research in the first place.
  • CharlotteLetterCharlotteLetter Registered User Posts: 562 Member
    edited September 9
    Oh yeah haven't posted for a while. My junior year schedule:

Semester 1:
    DE Regression Analysis (uni)
    DE Probability (uni)
    DE French II (uni)
    DE Calc-based Physics with lab (CC)
    Voice
    Bible as Literature
    PE
    ACT/PSAT prep

Semester 2 (all dual credit courses are tentative though):
    DE Analysis of Variance (uni)
    DE Stat Inference (uni)
    DE French III (uni)
    DE Microeconomics or Psychology or Sociology or Anthropology (CC)
    DE Astronomy (or physical geography or geology) (CC)
    Voice
    Bible as Literature
    PE

I'm most likely graduating this year and then going to my state school on full tuition + most books scholarship.
  • GiovuhnniGiovuhnni Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    @IAmNotCreativ and I have basically the exact same schedule, except she takes honors spanish 4 and i take honors french 4 and we have that 1st period. so from 2-8 periods we're in the same classes this semester.

IB is not that bad, but its def a lot of work but if you dont procastinate youll be fine. i love my classes though :)
  • IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 801 Member
    @CharlotteLetter
    Wow, you're taking a full load of college courses in high school @-)
    Good luck this semester.
  • literallyliteralliterallyliteral Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    the AP biology teacher has managed to turn my favorite subject into the most boring one, jesus.
    @literallyliteral That's how I feel about every bio class and every middle school science class I have ever taken.
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    Hi juniors!! I'm from the Class of 2018 thread and I wanted to tell you guys to apply for (FREE) summer programs/programs for senior year. First, attending will be one of the best experiences of your life and you will come back home looking at the world differently. Second, you'll be able to pursue your interests in a non-school setting. Third Here are a few that suit different folks:

MIT OEOP programs (MITES/E2/MOSTEC)
    TASP
    LEDA Scholars
    USC Bovard Scholars
    Carnegie Mellon SAMS (also AP/EA through diversity portal)
    Bezos Scholars
    Hamilton Scholars
    RSI (good luck figuring out how to apply :(( )
    National Institute of Health programs (idk their names)
    Your governor school
    Girls/Boys State
    And more I cannot think of right now. Here's a link I used http://www.thecollegiateblog.org/2013/12/12/80-free-summer-programs-for-high-school-students/

At the beginning of my junior year, I was nothing of the student I am today. Had not much to be proud of except my grades and ACT scores, now I've grown and gotten to do some wildly cool things. You are a strong person academically, now go off and pursue what you love because that will sing louder than the cookie cutter impressive things. Don't look at the things because they'd look good on your resume- do them, enjoy them and then bump them around later.

Email people, google for opportunities, carpe diem! Don't be afraid to go after what you want, don't be afraid to try new things even if they fail, don't be afraid of what you can do. You got this!
    SAT scores are out for Audust!
    I'm pretty disappointed, I took the sat math 2 and I got a 760 which is apparently the 63rd percentile. :(
  • Trekko10Trekko10 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    How many questions did you complete IAmNotCreativ?
  • Luska19Luska19 Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Had a change of schedule due to conflict I will be unable to take AP Spanish. So here is the updated schedule:

AP Calculus BC(Double block)
    AP USH
    AP Lit
    Applied Object-Oriented Java
    AP Physics(Double block)
    STEM 3 Honors(Digital Electronics)
    @Trekko10 I finished all the questions.
  • Trekko10Trekko10 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    edited September 18
    So the SAT Math 2 must be really difficult this time :-( Scary
  • BiaxialObject48BiaxialObject48 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    @IAmNotCreativ I got the same score too... really bummed out because of it. I skipped two questions and was 100% sure I got at least two wrong after the test (a parametric question and the second to last question). Overall, the test wasn't even that hard for me. It was more like the Princeton Review and Kaplan practices, not like Barrons (which were like double the difficulty and full of more complex topics).

I would be pissed if I got two wrong (and two skipped), because then that would mean it was a scaling result. But I guess we'll all never know.