Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

High School Class of 2019

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• fretnotfretnot Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    is blacklisting highschools a real thing?
    do colleges actually blacklist highschools?
  • MangoLover11223MangoLover11223 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    @fretnot are you a junior? It seems as though you already got into college based on your other threads... so I’m not sure why you’re worried about schools being blacklisted...
    @MangoLover11223 nah, I wish I already got into a college :P
  • celestialkairoscelestialkairos Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Hey guys I'm new here but here's my senior year courseload!
    AP Seminar
    AP Computer Science
    AP Computer Science Principles
    AP Statistics
    Calc 3/Differential Equations (dual enrollment)
    AP Physics II
    Band
  • borrominiborromini Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new here! I'm actually a bit stressed because I will be moving across the country for my senior year of high school. New extracurriculars, new class requirements, and new class options await. I'll be forced to give up my leadership positions and start fresh (which really sucks tbh).

My ideal senior schedule at my new school looks something like this:
    AP Calculus AB
    AP Literature
    APUSH
    French IV
    Health (Online, required by HS)
    and a Dual Enrollment class at the local college in either Art History or Chinese (or both)

I understand that this schedule is likely to change, however. I'm not 100% sure of anything at this point, I just hope that admissions committees will understand my situation and the fact that it is outside of my control. If anyone has any advice for moving as a senior that would be great.
  • TN034154TN034154 Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    guys if any of you know about dorming or have sibling experience please answer my last post, I am the first child and have immigrant parents and I really need help.
  • potatoepotatoepotatoepotatoe Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    @borromini May I ask what state or region of the country you are moving to? I may be able to help if it is close to were I live.

My advice would be to write about your situation to admissions on the section of the Application that allows you to add additional information about a special situation. Also, use this to your advantage. I would find as many new opportunities as possible and have a fresh start or even connect with the extracurricular you did in the past. Good luck senior year!
  • simberry2simberry2 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    @borromini, I've been there before. After sophomore year, I had to move cross country, which sucked, especially considering that I was strongly against it. Another thing that sucked was that even though I wanted to do two honors and an AP for junior year, my counselor made me do all normal courses and it strongly hurt my original plans. However, there's a chance that it did help as I may have failed the honors courses I could've taken. In addition, I made a new set of friends, which were the group of people that were pretty similar to me. The good thing about this is that as a person, I've changed a lot between 1st grade (when I moved to where I was originally from) and 10th grade, and by 10th grade, my friends started being a little annoying and I was very tempted to leave their friend group. Now though, I have friends that are similar to who I am now, as opposed to who I was back in 1st grade. Plus, if there's a dream school in the state you're moving to, that's a plus.

Anyway, here's my course load for senior year:
    AP Calculus AB
    Honors English 12
    Honors Physics
    Honors Pop Culture
    Honors Exploring Family History
    Honors Orchestra (Chamber Orchestra)
    Music Theory
    Intro to Computer Programming
    2 gym semesters (because we're required to have 4 years of gym. Stupid, right?)
    @simberry2 4 years of GYM? Why on Earth is that a requirement... Good luck with that :-O
  • borrominiborromini Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @potatoepotatoe @simberry2 Thank you both for the great advice! It really sucks leaving everything I've built up here, but it's not the end of the world by any means. The schedule that I posted above has already changed some due to conflicting graduation requirements lol (which is very frustrating). Like @potatoepotatoe said, I'll try to use this situation to my advantage.
  • helloejhelloej Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    edited April 18
    @borromini i completely understand the struggle of moving as i've had to do so countless times it's definitely not the most fun especially when you've built up a lot of extracurriculars and have to move :( i had to move across the country in the middle of my junior year to my third high school and it was definitely a struggle especially since my new school didn't offer a lot of the classes i had originally taken.. but in the end, i truly believe that everything happens for a reason you'll find out why you were meant to move and experience great things! don't give up yet!! also i can totally relate to the whole PE thing they require we take it every single year of hs which is a lil ridiculous @simberry2
  • literallyliteralliterallyliteral Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    This year, the Math Department decided to let juniors in pre-calculus skip over to Calc BC instead of taking AB. I think I'm gonna do it!
    @literallyliteral That's what I did this year! The AB material is basically the first semester of Calc BC, with some BC stuff included at the end. :)>-